Shall we move the Cycling Photo Challenge Thread from Cafe to Photo Gallery?

Shall we move the Cycling Photo Challenge Thread from Cafe to Photo Gallery?

• Yes

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I don't mind

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru

There are 2 threads .
The sticky thread has the current theme and closing date.
It was made so that people would always be able to see what the current theme is because sometimes there would be a few pages of banter and chat amongst the entries and sometimes we had some non serious entries as all part of the fun.
But it seems that it was still confusing.
The sticky thread also has a link on page 1 to page 1 of the thread with all the pictures in.
To follow the thread with the pictures in , you have to put it on your watch list and keep checking new posts like any other thread you follow .

I'm now wondering whether both threads should have a sticky?

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
Thank you for your answers so far.
I really appreciate your feedback .

I would love more people to join in. If you are interested, this is the current theme :

I've seen lots of interesting outside clocks on my bike rides, so for your next challenge please take a picture of your bike and :

Clocks and anything else on the theme of Time.

I'll give you plenty of 'time '! Closing date Monday 12th November.

Looking forward to your pictures.

So, you go out on a bike ride and just take a picture within the time frame of the current challenge , that includes your bike or a part of your bike, that you think would fit the theme.
It is meant to be fun and sometimes people can interpret the theme in quite random ways.
The person who sets the challenge chooses the picture they like best.
The winner then chooses a new theme and sets the closing date.

Edit : You can enter as many pictures as you like as long as they are taken within the time frame of the current challenge.
Sometimes people post older pictures for interest but they won't be taken as an entry.

The closing date has always been loose because whoever sets the challenge might be busy or about to go away or whatever reason , chooses a date that suits them. I can see why that has caused confusion.

Personally , I like longer dates because it's more inclusive for people who work, are busy some weekends, don't get out on their own much , or ride with people who don't want to stop while you take a picture.
I'm in a club, often leading rides, and you can't just stop when you see something that fits the challenge to take a picture. But I enjoy finding something for the challenge when I'm on my own.
Also, some rides can be in the dark or training rides when you don't want to stop.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers so far.
I really appreciate your feedback .

I would love more people to join in. If you are interested, this is the current theme :

So, you go out on a bike ride and just take a picture within the time frame of the current challenge , that includes your bike or a part of your bike, that you think would fit the theme.
It is meant to be fun and sometimes people can interpret the theme in quite random ways.
The person who sets the challenge chooses the picture they like best.
The winner then chooses a new theme and sets the closing date.

The closing date has always been loose because whoever sets the challenge might be busy or about to go away or whatever reason , chooses a date that suits them. I can see why that has caused confusion.

Personally , I like longer dates because it's more inclusive for people who work, are busy some weekends, don't get out on their own much , or ride with people who don't want to stop while you take a picture.
I'm in a club, often leading rides, and you can't just stop when you see something that fits the challenge to take a picture. But I enjoy finding something for the challenge when I'm on my own.
Also, some rides can be in the dark or training rides when you don't want to stop.

So how do you post a photo that will show up, can you do it direct from your pc as I have none of these modern things like external photo gallery storage.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
So how do you post a photo that will show up, can you do it direct from your pc as I have none of these modern things like external photo gallery storage.

Click on 'upload a file' which is next to the 'post reply' button.
You should be able to navigate to wherever you store your pictures on your device.
Select the picture.
Click 'open' which will upload it as a thumbnail into your post.
Then click 'full image' so that people can view the picture whilst scrolling.
If you are including any text , please start on a new line or some of the text gets wrapped round the picture which makes it harder for people to read when scrolling .
The software allows a maximum of 10 image files in one post. This is more relevant in the Your Ride Today thread. If you have more images, start a new post.

Then post your reply as normal.

Click on 'upload a file' which is next to the 'post reply' button.
You should be able to navigate to wherever you store your pictures on your device.
Select the picture.
Click 'open' which will upload it as a thumbnail into your post.
Then click 'full image' so that people can view the picture whilst scrolling.
If you are including any text , please start on a new line or some of the text gets wrapped round the picture which makes it harder for people to read when scrolling .
The software allows a maximum of 10 image files in one post. This is more relevant in the Your Ride Today thread. If you have more images, start a new post.

Then post your reply as normal.

Thank you Katherine, some of us haven't kept up with technology as much as we should have !!!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The confusion lies in that their is a thread at the top of the cafe page- THE CURRENT CHALLENGE stating the current theme, as set by the last winner.

they state the subject and closing date.

You then post your pics for the next competition in a separate thread that's titled CYCLING PHOTO CHALLENGE

which may have slipped down a page or two if nobody has posted on it.

Clear....?

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
The confusion lies in that their is a thread at the top of the cafe page- THE CURRENT CHALLENGE stating the current theme, as set by the last winner.

they state the subject and closing date.

You then post your pics for the next competition in a separate thread that's titled CYCLING PHOTO CHALLENGE

which may have slipped down a page or two if nobody has posted on it.

Clear....?
It looks like they both need to be stickied.

OP
OP
Katherine

Katherine

Guru
Top thinking there @Katherine !
Done !

TeeShot

Veteran
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Dave123. Before today I’d never looked at the “sticky” thread but I can see now how it could confuse people. As Katherine suggest, maybe sticky both

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I was on a tropical fish forum once (before they all closed) and we had a monthly photo competition. A thread would be started titled 'November Photo comp' (for instance), laying out the theme for that month. All entries would be sent by pm to a moderator and once the deadline (3 weeks) had passed the moderator would post all the photos in the thread with a poll and members would be given a week to cast their vote for which one they thought was the best photo. Then the winner (plus 2nd & 3rd places) were announced and the winner picked the theme for the next month's competition, which was announced in a new thread, so there was one thread for each month. That worked ok.

Top Bottom