Shared paths, 'haven't you got a bell?!'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Shared paths are all well and good but why don't the people who get in my way realise that it's my turn to have the path? :boxing:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Just out of curiosity, is there a speed limit for bikes on shared paths or cycle paths?

We have a shared path along the Norwich Road, going out of Wymondham. I rarely use it as its a pavement and is in constant use by pedestrians and dog walkers, kids on skates etc. It also crosses a lot of side streets. When I have used it, I tend to just pootle along at 8 or 9 mph or so unless I am passing peds, dogs or kids and then I slow down. I have seen a lad bombing down it fairly regularly, dashing over the side roads - He will meet a sticky end one day, I am sure.

I have been yelled at by car drivers for not being on the cycle path when I am cycling at 18 mph or so. I have been bawled out by ped when on the shared cycle path when pootling at 8mph too. I have told car drivers that I am riding over a cyclepath speed limit, even though I don't know if there is one.

Kookas

Über Member
Just out of curiosity, is there a speed limit for bikes on shared paths or cycle paths?

We have a shared path along the Norwich Road, going out of Wymondham. I rarely use it as its a pavement and is in constant use by pedestrians and dog walkers, kids on skates etc. It also crosses a lot of side streets. When I have used it, I tend to just pootle along at 8 or 9 mph or so unless I am passing peds, dogs or kids and then I slow down. I have seen a lad bombing down it fairly regularly, dashing over the side roads - He will meet a sticky end one day, I am sure.

I have been yelled at by car drivers for not being on the cycle path when I am cycling at 18 mph or so. I have been bawled out by ped when on the shared cycle path when pootling at 8mph too. I have told car drivers that I am riding over a cyclepath speed limit, even though I don't know if there is one.

I've heard that 18mph is the recommended maximum speed for shared use paths, but I think it's just guidance. I generally keep to more-or-less 10mph when amongst pedestrians (which is generally only when I'm cutting through a park or the university), and never use shared-use paths unless there's no road alongside it - had no hassle from anyone about that sort of thing so far.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oh to see us as others do....

Got shouted at, a veritable volley of obscenities, last evening for having the temerity to longboard on a shared use path. Regrettably the shouter was a lycra clad cyclist on an mtb. Not one of the several pedestrians I passed and repassed several times uttered a word or even crooked an eyebrow....

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Oh to see us as others do....

Got shouted at, a veritable volley of obscenities, last evening for having the temerity to longboard on a shared use path. Regrettably the shouter was a lycra clad cyclist on an mtb. Not one of the several pedestrians I passed and repassed several times uttered a word or even crooked an eyebrow....
That's just one cyclist Greg. Besides MTB'ers in Lycra are wierdos of the highest order.

If I'd seen you I would have stopped for a chat, because I too am considering adding a longboard (for cruising) to my stable....

perplexed

Guru
That's just one cyclist Greg. Besides MTB'ers in Lycra are wierdos of the highest order.

If I'd seen you I would have stopped for a chat, because I too am considering adding a longboard (for cruising) to my stable....

Longboard? Cruising? Why have I got an image of a large man with a moustache and a surfboard under his arm in a park at dusk whilst wearing very short shorts??? :blink:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Who you callin' a weirdo!

(tbh only under baggies)

Buy one, you won't regret it. Huge fun, though ideally you need one for cruisin' and another one for tricks and generally falling on your r's. n+1 and all that.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Longboard? Cruising? Why have I got an image of a large man with a moustache and a surfboard under his arm in a park at dusk whilst wearing very short shorts??? :blink:
Lolz. Long shorts, silly 'tab' beard, and the board has wheels. But yep, you'll find me down the park at dusk most evenings.:whistle:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I cycled along Lee Valley Way canal towpaths today. Ringing the bell (one ding from distance) had people jumping for cover, or moving right over and stopping. I wasn't going at speed and I was a little baffled by it all. When I didn't use the bell I had people jumping at the sound of my disc brakes (no squeak or metallic sounds, just pad rubbing against disc). All very strange, or it could be fair weather idiots on MTB's causing the over reactions (saw a couple of idiots like that). I always nod the head or say thanks to be polite. A few times when I didn't use the bell and hung back until it was safe, they apologised for holding me up, which I found quite embarrassing as I don't think I look that scary and I was in no rush. I also a lot of the time follow the bell ring with a coming left or coming right shout, so they don't suddenly dart in odd directions. I did have a slight annoyance in the form of 2 female cyclists in the dark (after sunset) taking the whole path up, with no lights, ignoring the bell and I had to shout "COMING RIGHT" rather loudly as they were not paying proper attention to what was going on around them, I really hope they were not going to join a road to get home like that with no lights...

Herbie

Veteran
I would point out that on a shared path, particularly one that has been converted from an existing footway, pedestrians are entitled to walk wherever they want. Even where there is a clear deliniation of an area for cyclists, pedestrians can use the cycle area.

Think of shared paths as merely being footpaths on which you are allowed to pootle with due care and attention.

aye good point well put....theres room for everyone I say

OP
OP
Guyincognito76

Guyincognito76

I did have a slight annoyance in the form of 2 female cyclists in the dark (after sunset) taking the whole path up, with no lights, ignoring the bell and I had to shout "COMING RIGHT" rather loudly as they were not paying proper attention to what was going on around them, I really hope they were not going to join a road to get home like that with no lights...

Summer cyclists! It's the ones coming towards you that you have to worry about; two abreast, deep in conversation. On more than one occasion I've had to take averting action to avoid one of them crashing in to me. They're not even the most dangerous, it's the ones that aren't paying attention and suddenly swerve from one side of the path to the other as they a) are too out of shape even for the shortest, slowest ride, and/or b) haven't been on a bike in ten years and are on a one man/woman quest to debunk the, 'you never forget how to ride a bike' theory.

Top Bottom