Shared paths, 'haven't you got a bell?!'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
I have a bell which works on the basis of when I hit a rough bit of road it dings.Also worked well on a path round here this afternoon.Shake the handlebars and it dings also.

Sara_H

Guru
I tell you what I bought one just to see what would turn up I was curious for that price and it is very loud.

Is it battery powered?

sazzaa

I haven't had a bell recently and have been a fan of shouting "SCUSE ME" or "INCOMING", but since I bought one of these I quite want to use it now... I enjoy the heart attack reaction though.

317RaEtvjJL.jpg

On a side note, when I was in Holland last year, there were so many bells ringing in the busy areas that I never had any clue when they were directed at me and it all just became background noise...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Matthew, 20mph on a shared use path might be a bit on the fast side.

I know the NCN 5 very well despite being from Manchester.

It is a Promenade from Prestatyn to Rhyl, and is exactly that. Cycles have been allowed on it. I just laugh when I see any road cyclists on it. Flippin crazy. I ride on it with the family, slowly.

Would you believe there are Strava segments on it.

Been up and down the NCN 5 with the kids and even my 10 year old who isnt a cyclist has out run some of the road bikes, when there are no peds.

Its a shared route, pedestrians take priority.

There was a guy on a carbon Dolan just a couple of days ago, that my son could have scalped easily, he is 12 on a Carrera Vengeance MTB.

Im surprised @ianrauk hasnt got a penny jar for threads about bells, to go with the what lights and ignorant cyclists threads^_^ :whistle:

OP
OP
Guyincognito76

Guyincognito76

It is a Promenade from Prestatyn to Rhyl, and is exactly that. Cycles have been allowed on it. I just laugh when I see any road cyclists on it. Flippin crazy. I ride on it with the family, slowly.

Been up and down the NCN 5 with the kids and even my 10 year old who isnt a cyclist has out run some of the road bikes, when there are no peds.

There was a guy on a carbon Dolan just a couple of days ago, that my son could have scalped easily, he is 12 on a Carrera Vengeance MTB.

I avoid it in the summer, unless it's very early in the morning.

I don't ride fast on shared-use paths. The name seems to imply that they are for sharing.

Even where lanes are painted, it can be hard to keep a dog or a young child in line.

People who cycle on shared-use paths near to pedestrians at 15mph or more are not entirely unlike like the close-pass drivers some of us like to film and shout funny things at. One hesitates to speak of hypocrisy, but there may be a case for doing so.

To a pedestrian, a fast-moving bicycle shares many of the aspects of a fast-moving car.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Yeah this is why I don't use them ever, doesn't stop me being told you use them by drivers though.

That's the problem with them, I cant use them because it's dangerous for pedestrians but I have had numerous close passes later justified with a gesture at the shared use path by the driver.

They are like any other poorly designed cycle infrastructure, more dangerous than having nothing. But some cyclists will feel pressure to use them because of the attitude of drivers when they don't use them.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Exactly @Boris Bajic - we (by virtue of riding a bike and being a lot faster than someone walking) are responsble for ourselves and vulnerable road/path/track/lane users. We should also ride in a manner that is safe, predictable, and indicative of our intended course, so as to aid other (slower and faster) road users in moving around us.

MarkF

Guru
As others have said, you can't win, I have bell on my towpath bike but walkers still "tut" whether I use it or my voice. I am not bothered anyway.

I am more bothered by extendable dog leads (on a towpath!) and highly motivated, kitted up, older men, in gangs, speeding nowhere in particular on MTB's, they pee everybody off in my area.

Top Bottom