Shared paths, 'haven't you got a bell?!'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Common human decency would be a live and let live attitude,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlz8s5IpJF5kec2mZeGzJSbrLjsCyUcJb-ETdHDV3ftHWLCVzUmQ.jpg

Hip Priest

Veteran
Sounds kinky.....

Well, there'd certainly be a degree of heavy breathing if I was going 25mph.

Sara_H

Guru
Get this all the time.

Me: "excuse me please"
Pedestrian " why haven't you got a bell."
Me "I have, just seemed more polite to say excuse me. Oh well."

Or

Me: "ting a ling (on bell)"
Pedestrian: Feigns heart attack, jumps dramatically to side of path, gives a nasty silent glare.
Me: "oh well"

OP
OP
Guyincognito76

Guyincognito76

Get this all the time.

Me "I have, just seemed more polite to say excuse me.

This is exactly my thinking, ringing a bell, like honking a horn, just seems rude.

The problem, of course, is pedestrians don't think cyclists should be where they're walking, just as drivers think we shouldn't be where they're driving.

Sara_H

Guru
This is exactly my thinking, ringing a bell, like honking a horn, just seems rude.

The problem, of course, is pedestrians don't think cyclists should be where they're walking, just as drivers think we shouldn't be where they're driving.

Seems that we're not welcome anywhere.

See if you can rig one of these up onto your handlebars!

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkfTAowWRKA

They don't like it up 'em, Mr Mainwaring!

Brandane

Legendary Member
Get this all the time.

Me "I have, just seemed more polite to say excuse me. Oh well."

Or

Me: "ting a ling (on bell)"
Pedestrian: Feigns heart attack, jumps dramatically to side of path, gives a nasty silent glare.
Me: "oh well"

Yep; this pretty much sums up my experience on "shared" paths too. Today, on a canal tow-path on the outskirts of Glasgow, I belled a pedestrian from well back, to try and avoid the said feigned heart attack reaction. As I passed, she was muttering away to herself. I didn't catch the whole content, but I did pick up on the "f***ing bell" bit. You just can't win; so just like the OP, I will stop trying to please them all.

Worst of all are dog walkers who see you coming, then stand on one side of the path, while shouting at Fido to stay on the other side while cyclist is expected to pass between the two. Of course Fido usually decides to bolt towards its lord and master when cyclist is about 3 feet away. Would it not be easier for Fido's dopey owner to step to the same side of the path as the dog? :cursing:

ste.pearson

Formerly known as stevieP
i have a bell and sometimes use it and sometimes ask politely to get by.it can be frustrating but like others have said it is a shared path and they have every right to use it the way they want,also you cant always assume that they have heard you some people are hard of hearing its not there fault.as a ex runner cyclists used to pass by me really close and scare the s**t out of me so i can appricate both sides of the coin:rolleyes:

Top Bottom