Shared paths, 'haven't you got a bell?!'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
But they will still be on one side of the path with Fido on the other, and now you have a trip wire...

Yes true :banghead:

Yesterday I was riding up a bike path and ahead there was 3 people and a pram, I waited for a cyclist that was coming the other way to pass then I said excuse me, so one goes to one side of the path and the other goes to the other side and one stays in the middle this person then went right as the person on the right went left and they were backwards and forwards across the path :cursing:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I cycle the same paths as the OP when going to college.At 8am in the morning, dog walkers are a menace. They walk on one side with their dogs on the other. With a lead as thin as a fishing line between the two.

I dont have a bell, and because of complaints dont use my airzound on peds (spoils the fun though). I find that if I am speeding along at 20mph, a loud but non aggressive "Excuse me" does the job. I always make a habit of shouting early, and repeating myself until the peds turn around. I start shouting early so that they have plenty of time to notify other peds and move out of MY way.
I always say "Thank you" or "Cheers" when I pass them. Often it is met by a "Okay".

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I went down 35miles of the south downs way yesterday, had to share a lot of it with pedestrians, horse riders, cyclist and cows!

I didn't get a single complaint from anyone, I didn't have a bell but like the OP I was nice and polite. Slowing down behind them and saying something along the lines of "Hi, bike back, may I pass?" and then a "Thanks, enjoy your walk" as I passed.

There was one guy coming towards me and a load of pedestrians at one point, he just kept dinging on his bell and not really slowing. A bell can be antisocial, it depends on how you use it, and in this case, when it was beautifully quite with fantastic views it just ruined the whole scene for everyone.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've been thinking of stringing my kazoo on a lanyard and just tooting (kazooing?) whatever tune pops in to my head... Steptoe and Son for the fogies, Run to the Hills for the alternative youths, Waterloo if i think they look French, and so on.

If you ( Guyincognito76 ) look anything like your avatar, can i suggest...

. :thumbsup:

Milo

Guru
I must admit I have been known to go full on rant mode when someone had a go at me for not having a bell after I politely asked excuse me on the canal once. I really don't see a problem with using your voice personally I would never just go past without some sort of audible warning which as far as I am aware is all that is required.

Sometimes it's quicker and more effective to shout if someone is suddenly right in front of you.

If you're riding along and someone appears, you have a very short time to react, move your hands from their position on the handlebars and find your bell.

You don't have to be aggressive or abusive, but a 'Look Out' should normally suffice.

Hip Priest

Veteran
On the shared path I use, cows are a bigger problem than peds. And it's their house, so if they're blocking your path you just have to wait!

Milo

Guru
That was what made me angry tbh the fact they got lippy. I'm well aware that deaf people go outside. I normally go for a clacking of brake levers and ask polity if not I just wait for a decent chance to pass with plenty of room.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Sarah H wins this one, it's lose/lose so use the road, oh it's lose/lose there as well, it's a good thing cycling is so bloody amazing... ^_^

Hip Priest

Veteran
Sarah H wins this one, it's lose/lose so use the road, oh it's lose/lose there as well, it's a good thing cycling is so bloody amazing... ^_^

I gave up using shared paths because of abuse from pedestrians, I gave up riding on busy roads because of abusive motorists, and I gave up riding on country lanes because of motorcyclists buzzing me at high speed.

I shelled out on a turbo trainer, set it up in the garage, and starting spinning away.

Ah, peace & quiet.

And then my neighbour's cat came in and called me a knobber.

Tim Hall

I cycle the same paths as the OP when going to college.At 8am in the morning, dog walkers are a menace. They walk on one side with their dogs on the other. With a lead as thin as a fishing line between the two.

I dont have a bell, and because of complaints dont use my airzound on peds (spoils the fun though). I find that if I am speeding along at 20mph, a loud but non aggressive "Excuse me" does the job. I always make a habit of shouting early, and repeating myself until the peds turn around. I start shouting early so that they have plenty of time to notify other peds and move out of MY way.
I always say "Thank you" or "Cheers" when I pass them. Often it is met by a "Okay".

Matthew, 20mph on a shared use path might be a bit on the fast side.

Top Bottom