Sharing discounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lookrider

Not really bike related but as this forum has a lot of captured audience for a wide range of opinions..... so inline perhap with splitting-separate meal bills ?........
If you were to join a "service" in say hospitality or travel or hotels too which you paid a yearly subscription in return for a discount on any future bookings etc
Then suppose you and several friends are out on one if these places and you get a discount ...would you feel obliged to pass this onto friends even though only you have " paid" for this discount ???

To keep the maths simple
10 go out for a meal at £10 each --£100 ...you collect the cash and pay £90 and pocket £10 because you get the discount of 10%

Sure guys in that group will think you ate for free on thete backs
Equally some will say your entitled to it as you bought the discount
Some may also think they should get £1 back

What's effically right ?
You cannot really square it off at first as some may think you are getting the group to go there so you eat for free
If you sly the discount Into to your pocket you will look terrible when the truth no doubts gets leaked out

I discussed this with my small family with differing opinions

Thanks all
Safe xmas

Twilkes

Guru
Assuming you are making back the annual fee and more in the discounts you're getting, work out the discount first and then divide it by the number of people, that's their benefit of knowing you, a good guy. I'm sure you'll get it back in kindness, if not in kind, at a later date.

I once knew an unemployed woman who was desperately applying for jobs; she went for dinner a number of times with the man she was seeing, and each time they would split the bill, not once did he say 'Hey my business is going well, this one's on me, honeypie'. Things came to a head when not only did they split the bill, he asked for a VAT receipt so he could claim the bill back against tax. She tore him a new one and I never saw him again.

Don't be that guy. :smile:

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
How would anyone possibly think that taking the full discount and eating for free is any way acceptable?

If pizza express do a buy one get one free offer you don’t expect one person to pay full whilst the other pays nothing.

I remember buying one of those discount cards once - never went to the restaurant concerned. In fa t I still haven't. They're not always a bargain.

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

What discount card have you got and how did it go down at the restaurant in reality?

I haven't...its merely a hypothetical question...I don't have such a discount card but seen one advertised whilst looking at booking an event

Buy the yearly membership for future discounts it offered ...I thought why not ? Then again afterwards i thought how could you apply it amongst friends fairly if as a group you used it a few times a year .....hence the subject of the post
And a larger audience to take in a more versatile response as opposed to a small few in my household

Most of the replies are focused on a restaurant...( yes for clarity and ease of understanding I did use a restaurant scenario as example ) but you also get these membership benefits on travel and accomadation where using the disco as a tip is not possible ..of course you can share it out...but would the subscriber think he's out of pocket ? Especially if it takes several visits/bookings to recover his initial subscription ..he would have after all subscribed to save money in future? That's the idea

I personally would not be bothered if someone took the discount to themselves especially as they paid for the subscription ...as I would pay full price on my own anways ..but I would be somewhat un comfortable taking the disco myself but I think it's a decent discussion on what could be deemed a dilemma

I don't know how to paste them quotes but MISTYOPTIC said you paid for the card anyway..that's true but you would also have paid full price as well without the membership so pay In full again
BEEBO said you get 2 fur 1 at pizza express..yes but nobody had paid a subscription in your case ?

Guys I'm not at all looking for a right or wrong here ...just a discussion of the merits of a membership benefit seen diferent by all I guess
I reckon there will be people reading this who have tbese memberships and do pocket the discount themselves especially if its all booked online and the discount applied at end page

All Interesting thoughts

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have Gourmet and Meerkat discounts, just cos they came with insurance/bank... not really used them much recently. I'd never ask for a 'contribution' - if you check the times, it's usually off peak anyway, and takes some planning.