Sharing discounts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
If you’re inviting everyone to their meal out of your own pocket then you’re entitled to the discount on everyone’s meal. If everyone is paying for their own meal and the restaurant discounts everyone’s meal then everyone is entitled to the discount on their own meal. If you pocket their discount for yourself then that’s dishonest.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I remember seeing a similar thread on here some years back about a group of friends going out for a meal and you being expecting to 'pay your share' of the bill and pretty much subsidise your friends drinks even if you didn't partake and they decided to hit the wine particularly harder that evening

Friends wouldnt do something like this to other friends. Ask to have the drinks on a separate receipt if more alcohol is desired after the first or second round.

As for the discount. It wouldnt be a question that needs to be asked but then again most of my friends are like family.

I dont drive - I dont have a license, However I have a friend that does and i ask him to taxi me places when there are places i really need to go. He doesnt charge me anything for petrol unless im asking him to take me somewhere stupidly far or hes coming up short that month because bills or other things. im always forever buying him lunch or dinner when i see him :laugh: apart from his usefulness, He is that one in a million friend that is worth more than gold.

Last edited:
I haven't...its merely a hypothetical question...I don't have such a discount card but seen one advertised whilst looking at booking an event

Buy the yearly membership for future discounts it offered ...I thought why not ? Then again afterwards i thought how could you apply it amongst friends fairly if as a group you used it a few times a year
--
I personally would not be bothered if someone took the discount to themselves especially as they paid for the subscription ...as I would pay full price on my own anways ..but I would be somewhat un comfortable taking the disco myself but I think it's a decent discussion on what could be deemed a dilemma
--
I don't know how to paste them quotes but MISTYOPTIC said you paid for the card anyway..that's true but you would also have paid full price as well without the membership so pay In full again
BEEBO said you get 2 fur 1 at pizza express..yes but nobody had paid a subscription in your case ?
--
All Interesting thoughts
I guess the other point to consider, which I was not addressing before, is:

Are you buying this discount card specifically to use to benefit your group of friends? Or will you plan to use it for your own benefit as well (or different groups of friends)?

If the benefit it solely for one group of people then maybe you should consider asking them to contribute to the cost of the membership. This would fall down (I think) if the group go somewhere without you and then are unable to use the card/discount because you as the card "holder" are not present

How would anyone possibly think that taking the full discount and eating for free is any way acceptable?

If pizza express do a buy one get one free offer you don’t expect one person to pay full whilst the other pays nothing.
In a very funny "terrible date from hell" thread in another place one woman recalled going on a date with a guy. Turned out the meal had been a buy one get one free. She paid - he got his for free.
Maybe he was a serial dater - ate out for free five days a week.

(edit - should I put this tip in the "found a bargain" thread?)

OP
OP
L

Lookrider

I guess the other point to consider, which I was not addressing before, is:

Are you buying this discount card specifically to use to benefit your group of friends? Or will you plan to use it for your own benefit as well (or different groups of friends)?

If the benefit it solely for one group of people then maybe you should consider asking them to contribute to the cost of the membership. This would fall down (I think) if the group go somewhere without you and then are unable to use the card/discount because you as the card "holder" are not present

Its basically a group of us travel away to football games and stay in same hotel chains most of time
Now that group changes in numbers depending on who goes and work commitments etc
I have already considered that I be open about it and thinking to sugjest
That I pay the subscription and collect tbe disco untill its paid for then afterwards its all shared out
Or get the first bookings to chip in and pay the subscription BUT
I don't want lads chipping in for a subscription now on the off chance that they will not attend a match in the future ..whilst someone else then benefits from the disco when it comes available but they never chipped in for it ?

If I did not travel I can still get the others a disco as it be me who books it on tbere behalf
It can also get a little fraut as I travel with family for a weekend away now n then and usually stay in these same chain hotels so in that instance I would get a personal discount whilst others gave chipped in for it ....it is also perfectly legit that I could pay for the others family as well if they go away so that they could in that instance get a discount for themselves as I don't need to be there .....
It's hard when your in charge helping out etc in your own time as you don't want to appear doing it wrong ....my wife's organised girls away days and when people drop out they are almost demanding deposits back and/or refuse to pay the balance ...we have paid this out if our own pockets at times as with most block booking you get them cheap...so if somebody drops out the others have to pay extra to make up the shortfall ...hence we paid it ourselves to avoid spiolong the trip

I said I'm not bothered either way about the disco if I was part of the group and have been just that in other groups ...but when I hear the tittle tattle that disco may not get passed on by the lead booker? ( who nay think he should keep it as he paid the subscription) Thars why I don't want this tittle tattle fir me but when you run it and collect money you need to second guess everyone

Maybe I should stick to being an Indian and not a chief