Sharing Journey Breadcrumb Trail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scaphoid

Any tips on location-sharing a multi-day journey so that friends/family can follow progress?

I’m thinking something that will add-on to the map every day as you make progress.

I’ve found live-tracking options via Garmin and Google maps, and various high-end satellite tracking options but am just after something very simple that drops a breadcrumb onto a map now and again , shared by a single link showing the whole journey so far.

Im sure lots of options exist, so what do you use? Thanks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've a few family phones added to my "Find my phone" permission list, so they can send a short text and the phone will reply with a map link. They already know my approximate route.

I've not set anything more complicated up because I don't need everyone knowing I'm not home.

am just after something very simple that drops a breadcrumb onto a map now and again , shared by a single link showing the whole journey so far.

I'm not aware of anything that does exactly that so you may have to modify something else.
Of relevance too is the reason. Is it for your security (or others' anxiety) so that people know exactly where you are or more for their general interest?

Given that you want it to be cumulative I'd suggest using your favourite mapping app and create the route to that day's destination. Then either take a screenshot to send or send a link to the source. The further you go the less map detail that will be visible.

Polar Steps is the only app I know that will allow cumulative days as one journey but it's more photo dependant.
Relive is another app, for bikes but needs a gpx file or to record it itself.

Unless your security is the issue I'd recommend using Strava (RWGPS & Komoot do the same).
Take the recorded ride (or record on the app) add photos (easy peasy if you use your phone), add notes and share the link. There's a choice of map formats to display. It's free for you and friends. They can even comment.
Of far more use than a breadcrumb trail on an ever increasingly small map.

If security is the issue any number of mapping apps will show coordinates for your location. My preference is Osmand. Easy to share location from the app.

Whatever you choose I'd suggest a good test before you leave, especially if this is to allay worries.

And obviously, all these depend on internet/phone connectivity ^_^

There is an app Life360 that shares location with other family members. I think the basic app is free.

OP
OP
S

scaphoid

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I’m really after a single link that can be shared so that people can follow multi-day (and multi/week!) journey progress, without too much intervention from me.

This is an example of something produced from a satellite tracking device - no need for that, so I’m thinking of a phone app which would do similar.

https://my.yb.tl/nicklifeafloat

It’s great seeing a journey build, so more for interest than security concerns.

It’s great seeing a journey build, so more for interest than security concerns.

Google Maps will do that.
Once the viewer has the link they can click anytime and see updates. Of course, you need to update it.

Screenshot_2022-08-16-15-44-36-638_com.android.chrome.jpg

And Google Photos
Screenshot_2022-09-28-08-42-00-190_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

It does the map automatically but there is no link (I think)

Are you using a Garmin to navigate? If so just use the live tracking function.

Top Bottom