Sharp pain in right leg

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
A few months ago, I noticed a pain in my upper right leg (somewhere between mid thigh and the hip joint) which developed when I first get on the bike and start riding. It got to the point where after about half a mile, the sharp pain became uncomfortable enough that I got off the bike to stand up and straighten my leg, at which point the pain is intense for a microsecond and then it is completely gone, sometimes accompanied by some fleeting clunky feeling inside my leg (like something sliding over something else). The pain doesn't return when I get back on the bike and finish my ride. It can come back if I go on the bike later in the day. Today it was unusually painful when I got off the bike and I couldn't lose the pain for about 30 seconds, in fact I was walking with a bad limp because it was very painful to straighten my right leg. After that 30 seconds, the pain suddenly went, although lifting my right leg up to mount the bike brings some pain back, although not as bad. Anyone experienced anything like this? If it carries on I am booking an appointment with my doctor in case this is the beginning of something much worse. I wouldn't have thought my body should be falling apart at age 40, given I have led an active lifestyle despite a sedentary day job.

I started a new gym routine a months ago which involves compound movements, starting off with very light weight and incrementing slowly each workout. Squatting doesn't seem to aggrivate it at the time although I do get sharp soreness at the top and the inside of both legs for a couple of days after. If I squat with residual soreness it tends to go away, although can come back the next day. The pain in my right leg when beginning a bike ride came on well before I started going to the gym.

vickster

Legendary Member
As it’s being going on a while, see a physio?

Or are there trained personnel at the gym you can ask? Do you have a thorough stretching routine post gym and cycle?

Try a foam roller after the gym. Could be ITB, hip flexor or glute tightness

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
As it’s being going on a while, see a physio?

Or are there trained personnel at the gym you can ask? Do you have a thorough stretching routine post gym and cycle?

Try a foam roller after the gym. Could be ITB, hip flexor or glute tightness

The gym has personal trainers, I might get in touch with one of them to check my exercise form is good. There are no staff at the gym at the times I train. My gym is open 24 hrs but is only staffed for part of the day. I don't do stretching, I maybe should after a gym workout, I'm not sure it is necessary for cycling, my longest journeys are only about 10 miles, not enough to hammer my legs. I'm having a deep tissue massage tomorrow which may bring some relief, I'll ask about stretching at the same time.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've has something similar when I've been up in the attic, squatting on joists laying insulation. Something goes twang in the area of one of the major tendons of the knee and for a few seconds my leg is locked, then it suddenly un-twangs with a shock and I'm free.

Why are you doing gym work? I'd have thought that the muscle stress caused by cycling is enough to build strength and bulk without subjecting your legs to the stress of weights as well.

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
Cycling does increase cycling strength and endurance, but it doesn't do anything for overall strength and bulk. It is more carediovascular, so it has helped enormously with stamina and fitness, but in my case, I have always been strong(ish) in the lower body, but weak in the upper body, which cycling doesn't really do much for. I decided to lift weights to build some decent strength in the whole body, using a simple routine based on compound movements. If done carefully this should complement the cardiovascular benefits of cycling, and I can have all-over strength and be fit. This will help on the allotment where gym compound movements have carry over to the movements required to move heavy loads in a wheelbarrow, or carrying heavy bags of manure. Squatting heavy in the gym might even help with short bursts of high power to get up the short steep hills quickly that can be found around Sussex and Surrey. The only thing I haven't tested is what it will be like cycling to work (10 miles, hilly) the morning after squatting the previous evening.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I think you're playing with fire doing gym stuff. It strengthens muscles beyond the ability of the joints to handle the stress.

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
I think you're playing with fire doing gym stuff. It strengthens muscles beyond the ability of the joints to handle the stress.

Not if you start very light and increment the weight slowly, whilst making sure to use good form. Damage happens when trying to lift a weight that is too heavy, which results in breakdown of technique.

Top Bottom