1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

she almost got me this morning

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by LOGAN 5, 23 Jan 2008.

1. LOGAN 5

LOGAN 5 New Member

Stupid, blind, dangerous, irresponsible maniac woman driver in one of those tank 4x4 pulls out of a side junction this morning when it's still dark right in front of me.

As way of background. I have two bright handlebar mounted lights, one flashing. Just purchased the Cateye helmet mounted light which is really bright. Wearing fluorescent jacket, vest with reflective wrist/ankle bands. So very difficult to miss really.

Not a lot of traffic around and I see her nearing the junction so do the shine my helmet light in her direction to ensure she sees me. Well the blind bat just kept on coming. I shout and just have time to serve into the other side of the road - lucky nothing coming. She's now alongside me when she realises I'm there. Puts her hand up as if to say sorry I almost killed you and couldn't see you even though you were lit up like a Xmas tree. Then she floored it and sped away at speed in her tank to create more mahem with her dangerous and reckless driving.

It's really scary that you can have as many lights on as will fit on the bike/helmet and they still don't see you. What does it take?

Apart from taxis, buses, vans, skip lorries the 4x4 drivers are the next in line for bad attitude and poor driving skills.

****ing hell!

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

That's why god made the Airzound.

3. Wolf04

Wolf04 New Member

Gets my vote! As BentMickey has pointed out on the Reflective Paint thread, drivers don't always see you and don't always stop even if they do. Therefore no amount of lights or fluorescent Hi-viz is any guarantee that the car will stop. Good cyclecraft and an Airzound and being ready to take avoiding action thats the way forward (Still keeping my Hi-Viz and lights though). Glad to hear it wasn't more serious.

4. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I just wish that they would bring out a 'Zound that you can recharge on the go. Just hit a little button and it automatically gets back up to the correct pressure.

5. Do you have to recharge it every day?

They are good but half the time I forgot to recharge mine.

6. LLB

LLB Guest

Half asleep with the radio blaring no doubt ..........

7. OP
    OP
    LOGAN 5

LOGAN 5 New Member

No time to sound an airzound I was too busy swerving to avoid her!

No amount of defensive riding can protect you from idiots who will at any cost pull out even though you've shined a high powered light in their face. I'd seen her and thought maybe she might come straight out as drivers are likely to any number of unpredictable and irrational things - so much so that they become predictable! Anhyow any driver coming out of a junction as you're about to go past it is seriously in danger of causing an accident irrespective of rider caution. Drivers who don't look are inevitably going to cause an accident somewhere, sometime no matter what other road users do around them.

8. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

Next time, make sure you dent* her "preciousssssssss".. ;)

Then she'll be more careful!

*With a suitable instrument rather than your head or body of course.

9. Half asleep yes but I don't remember the radio.;)

10. Wolf04

Wolf04 New Member

Would it not have been possible to toot the Airzound (if you have one fitted) In place of pointing your light at her? She may still not have stopped of course. I do this after a similar incident a while back. If I'm in any doubt of a drivers intention I think a brief toot to let them know you are there can't be a bad thing.

11. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

bet they'd ignore a horn too

ditto this morning, all on my ownsome in primary swooping down the hill on the main road, all clear, light green, car waiting to turn right does so, me braking and swerving (away from his but across him) all the time thinking how the hell can't he see me, broad daylight, flourescent red long sleeve top, front flashing 5 led light, he does and stops 3/4 into turning leaving me the opening of the turning to pass him

I started in angry disbelief as I passed to get the routine blank look of disinterest

Last dozt woman that pulled out right in front of me from a turning (going slow uphill so stopped) gave me small smile and wave like it was no big drama

why doesn't anyone actually say sorry when they're blatantly wrong and you're the party that's prevented a collision?

12. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

That dozy stare of disinterest is more usually an "OMG I zarked up, if I ignore him he might let me off" stare.

13. I just stick my finger on the horn button.It worked very well at Bank the other day with the unsure motorist.He got his ass in gear after that.

14. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Someone did something similar today to me on Argyle St. A loud swear word succeeded in getting him to turn around as he drove away.

15. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

It is amazing what you can do to a car with a D-Lock...:?:

not that I would condone such action of course...