she can ride!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
my little girl who is 3 can now ride her bike!!! She's had a "like a bike" wooden bike for about a year,scooting herself everywhere.tried her for the first time on saturday on a "real bike" & she just rode of.She has trouble stopping as she has not learnt to use the brakes yet!!Anyone with young kids,Ditch the stabalisers (she never had them) & buy a "like a bike" it was so easy.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
we actually bought a cheap "like a bike" copy from Aldi or Lidl for £20.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Do teach her how to brake in order to control her speed
Both of my boys took nasty falls over the top when we went to new places with unexpected decents just around the corner

buggi

Bird Saviour
what a great idea. with stabilisers kids just lean to one side don't they. we never had stabilisers, our dad used to run behind us holding the saddle and then let go. we would be okay until we realised he wasn't there and then panic, fall off! ha ha

i found out a guy at work couldn't ride a bike the other day. i was shocked! :blush: how did that happen! he said his mum was always frightened he'd fall off so never bought him a bike. he said she was always a bit overprotective.

bonj2

Whoever invented the idea of a bike without cranks and that can't ever have cranks fitted for kids to learn on is onto a good ruse, because they know that in a few months the kid's going to be able to ride it and is going to want one with cranks and pedals. Two sales in one.

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
My 6yr old still plays on the wooden bike so its not money wasted! Like i said we got a cheap one from Lidl or Aldi.I think the transistion to a proper bike is so much easier than using stabilisers.Its not a marketing ruse.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I have a tiny (well, it looks that way to me) bike for my Daughter who's 3 and a half now... I've removed the pedals (whole crank arms in fact) and lowered the seat as much as is possible... but it's still a bit too big for her to comfortably move around on just using her legs to balance and power it.

We've tried on gentle grassed slopes but it's still quite a scary prospect for her as she can't easily stop herself by putting her feet down.

I think a smaller frame may help, don't think they make them though - hence the like-a-bike niche market.

I may even be tempted down that (rather expensive) route if she can't use this one soon. Wish we had a Lidl/Aldi which sold the cheaper version near us! :blush:

bonj2

gary r said:
My 6yr old still plays on the wooden bike so its not money wasted! Like i said we got a cheap one from Lidl or Aldi.I think the transistion to a proper bike is so much easier than using stabilisers.Its not a marketing ruse.

Well you didn't even need to do that - if it's wooden, could you not have just got some plywood from B&Q and knocked one up yourself...:blush: ?!

bonj2

That depends on how you look at it.

As I said, our wooden bike is still doing the rounds of my eldest's friends, and he's 5 now.

So £20 to get a bunch of kids cycling as early as possible is excellent value for money IMO.

And the Islabikes Rothan will last forever. There are enough people who know how good Islabikes are for you to have no trouble at all selling one of these on.

Yeah, that probably is though. But a wooden bike though? Surely it'll rot?! That or snap! I wouldn't trust it personally...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You do realise kids are not very heavy, and that the wood will take alot more weight then the child?
When i was in Germany a few kids on the camp site had them, and their old brothers were on the aswell, and weighed alot more then the smaller kids.

I think you would be fine on one Bonj, you could always see if they make an adult verson for you?

Top Bottom