She Lives! Commuting with the Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flashspix

Monday morning, decision time, do I wake up early face the wind and rain head and turn left, opting to boycott the ferry and go for the coastal route around the harbour (15 miles) or snuggle up and pay the ferryman.
It was approx 4 miles in when I met the full force of the sea gusts head on. The Carlton didn't buckle, I buckled.
A PNE club rider breezed past on his carbon lightweight machine , I felt the Carlton tugging at the reins, eager to duke it out, woah there, my legs protested and the stead settled back into a pace which just left my thighs sobbing gently but still working, as he became vanishingly small, 4 miles later a slow descent leading to a bend left brought relief.
p1846628591-4.jpg

Genuine Leather bar tape smelt wonderful as I was chewing the handlebars, I appreciated the smooth shifting on the gears none of this click clacking malarky, just feeling it into the sweet spot. Standard 27" Raleigh TrueBuild wheels rolling on campy record hubs are slick, will be updating the Saddle, Spokes and rim soon.
Ridden an honest 60 miles this week, looking forward to a few more.
p1782574798-4.jpg

p1726588906-4.jpg

Been adding some gold detailling to the lugs and managed to attach some vintage short chrome mudguards.
p1850580613-5.jpg

Note the top decal denoting the model type is missing, or is it. Best I could get to was 69-72
due to the serial number having no letter prefix, crespera lugs
After stripping off the yellow paintjob, I discovered the original colour was a flambouyant red with black releifs on the seat stay, I made measurements before getting the original paintwork off, the black was killer, for a while I thought the whole bike was chromed but it was just the portion I have left exposed. The front forks are chrome aftermarket 27" from the 90's.
p1637418446-4.jpg

p1832125162-4.jpg

midlife

Guru
Absolutely brilliant :smile:

Shaun

OP
OP
flashspix

flashspix

Cheers Raleigh Nut, Biggs682 and of course the Big Bold Spokesman who's pages on Carlton's are all over the net, I studied all of the images from the catalogues and the many stunning bikes in Spokesman's collection and elsewhere on Google images.

There was always some detail that didn't fit the catalogue for the 69 - 72 era or other bikes I have seen elsewhere on the net.

I don't think this bike wants to be pidgeon holed, so I've respected her wishes and not made a clumsy guess, thanks for the tips boys, I wanted to keep everything as original as poss, 27In wheels look so right on it, if I'd gone for 700c wheels the brake drops wud have been huge, there is still loads of clearance on the forks and rear chainstays, crying out for a set of fullwrap bluemels original mudguards and a brooks B-5 or B15 leather saddle. Managed to clean up a set of chrome racing mudguards from a vintage Peugot, these look good on it but won't cut the mustard on those rainy long rides thru the winter.

The downtube decal as you can see from my profile pic is the joined up writing one, whenever I saw a bike on the net with this decal, my heart skipped a beat, alas I concede defeat, the combination of crespera lugs, semi seat stay wrap over, centrepull brakes, placement of bike pump fixings had me vexed and stumped.

Was planning to sell this, but with more than 450 big ones spent (and I'm a tight fisted jock) on my restoration effort and with a Brookes saddle and Bluemels mudguards still to come, selling it for less than a grand would have me feeling like I'd given it away after the countless hours I spent on it, I did all the work myself apart from slipping my local vintage VW garage mate £20 for removing a stuck fast seat post that I spent a full 2 days trying to remove.

So unless some Carlton nut out there is desperate to own this bike and makes me an offer I can't refuse, it looks like we are going to be companions for a while.

Anyone doing the Eroica Britannia in June ?? Be nice to get a Carlton chaingang on the go

OP
OP
flashspix

flashspix

Nice work. Always good to see s set of GB Courier 66s
Thanks Mike, really appreciated !!
The GB Courier 66 front caliper looks like it was made for the bike, braking is sharp but I think the spring has lost some of it's springiness.
As I'm continually having to push down on the front centrepull after braking as it tends to stick.

I do need to service the hubs, bit of play on the rear, front one feels right but it's a small job and the only bit of the restoration I've neglected.
So I'll do both, no point taking shortcuts now.

Speak soon and keep posting the amazing images, love the shot of the 2x Carlton's in the kitchen, on rainy weekends the kitchen and lounge were my workshop,
that's why I'm content to be single, If I had a missus she would have spontaneously combusted and you don't need that type of distraction halfway thru a bike rebuild ! :stop:

Top Bottom