Sheared off bolt stuck in the hole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have a problem with one of the allen key bolts that attaches my Brompton's pannier carrying block to the front tube. One of the bolts has sheared off, so there is half a bolt stuck in the holt, but no way of unscrewing it. Is there a way of getting the bolt out?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have a problem with one of the allen key bolts that attaches my Brompton's pannier carrying block to the front tube. One of the bolts has sheared off, so there is half a bolt stuck in the holt, but no way of unscrewing it. Is there a way of getting the bolt out?
I did the same with my front mudguard bolt. I think there's ways if it's a carbon fork but I just took mine to the LBS. I was having a new spoke fitted to the rear wheel and having it trued. He didn't charge me for removing the broken bolt and setting up my mudguard again.

Well, if you can get to it, you could centre punch it toward the outside of the diameter and then 'chisel' it anti-clockwise. Give it a good soak with PlusGas or similar first though.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I had a go with a drill and some screw extractor bits, but my drilling is not very good it seems. I took it to a bike shop and they drilled it out for me.

Top Bottom