Shed dilema UPDATED vertical or horizontal cladding ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
20180125_141955.jpg

View: https://youtu.be/3S2aohSOL8M

A little bit of hard work. The picture is my man cave. Built for about £1200.00. I am not a builder. A diy project.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well that didn't go well ..........
looked a bit naff and my nail/ staple gun decided to jam every time after about 10 mins.
Luckily only wasted1 bag (£5on clearance ) and taking the rest back
Ripped it off and decided i have a £100 bonus coming soon from work so its going towards a new shed

Hicky

Guru
IF the timber frame is reasonable then rip off the off shiplap and reboard with maybe decking....ask somone with a router to put an edge for over lapping(depending where you buy they may do it for a few sheckles?)...it would last for an age if treated once its dried out a little.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

update
spent my bonus on a new garmin
Picked up 3 good quality used fence panels yesterday that im dismantling to use as a covering my only concern is the door , do i lay them the same way as the side s or upright and how to get the lock to line up ?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I've got a very solid tool shed built from mainly salvaged 4 x 2 sawn and exterior ply, over clad with T & G cladding (which I had to buy). I used a skip salvage commercial fire door and clad it vertically with the same T & G as I used horizontally for the walls, so it looks like a normal garden shed but is a lot, lot stronger.
I'm thinking about building another one on the same lines out of salvage timber for my bike spares as my existing storage is crammed to bursting.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Updated the title
I have the wood now i know on a new shed you have horizontal cladding with vertical clad door , my only issue with this is a new one the door is flush but mine will be an extra layer so i was wondering how to open the door without causing damage ?
I thought of vertically cladding the lot ? i know its not as weatherproof but would stop the issue of damage and apart from the gaps which i filled with wood filler the original T&G is watertight
a bit like ?
in%20central%20Scotland%20(%20Edinburgh,%20Fife,%20Glasgow,%20Falkirk%20)%20max%20timber%20sheds.jpg

toffee

Guru
Updated the title
I have the wood now i know on a new shed you have horizontal cladding with vertical clad door , my only issue with this is a new one the door is flush but mine will be an extra layer so i was wondering how to open the door without causing damage ?
I thought of vertically cladding the lot ? i know its not as weatherproof but would stop the issue of damage and apart from the gaps which i filled with wood filler the original T&G is watertight
a bit like ?
View attachment 486072

That's more garage like than a shed:smile::smile::smile:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
So long as you maintain some clearance between the door and the surrounding structure, I don't see why opening damage should be an issue, regardless whether the cladding is horizontal or vertical. On my tool shed, the door opens inwards and the fire door is set flush to the inside edge of the 4 x 2 frame and the T & G vertical cladding screwed to the front face. I then made up a frame lining to fit the remaining distance between the front surface of the cladded door and the external surface of the shed wall cladding. Due to the fact I need a certain amount of working space inside the shed, the inward opening door is not a big disadvantage, and weatherproofing and security is much better this way. Obviously, if you want to be able to cram a shed completely full right to the door opening, then the door needs to open outwards, but bear in mind it's easier to tamper with the hinges or jemmy open a door with gaps round it that opens outwards.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

So long as you maintain some clearance between the door and the surrounding structure, I don't see why opening damage should be an issue, regardless whether the cladding is horizontal or vertical. On my tool shed, the door opens inwards and the fire door is set flush to the inside edge of the 4 x 2 frame and the T & G vertical cladding screwed to the front face. I then made up a frame lining to fit the remaining distance between the front surface of the cladded door and the external surface of the shed wall cladding. Due to the fact I need a certain amount of working space inside the shed, the inward opening door is not a big disadvantage, and weatherproofing and security is much better this way. Obviously, if you want to be able to cram a shed completely full right to the door opening, then the door needs to open outwards, but bear in mind it's easier to tamper with the hinges or jemmy open a door with gaps round it that opens outwards.
hinges are on the outside , i cant take them out as they have clutch heads so it would be covered by the cladding and it open outwards

Top Bottom