Shed dilema UPDATED vertical or horizontal cladding ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My current bike store in a rowlinson security shed which i upgraded with extra lining to make it thicker, ground anchors etc .
the outer tongue and groove has shrunk so there are gaps in it which i tried filling but it still shrinks and falls out .
In all honesty i think i was diddled but its out of warranty .
Do i patch it up by covering it with feathredge board or bit the bullet and replace with a metal shed?
Unfortunately i cant afford an asgard shed as i need a full size shed and thats looking around £1500

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How big are the gaps. Could try Everbuild gap filling adhesive ?

How old is it? Any 'warranty' offered with it at the time of sale is in addition to your legal rights under the Consumer Rights Act and/or Consumer Contracts Regulations if you purchased it online or over the phone. Any warranty terms offered or asserted by the seller do not override your legal rights under the above legislation.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

You've up to six years from receiving the goods to make a small claim if you can't resolve the matter with the seller directly, though the onus is on you to prove the goods were faulty at the time of sale if claiming more than six months after you received them.

Also worth checking the manufacturer's guidelines before you contact them to ensure that you've met any guidance for treatment/protection etc. If they say the shed should be treated every [x] months/years and you haven't then they might argue that's why the shrinkage has occurred.

As for repair, T&G is difficult to patch retrospectively, as apposed to shiplap or featheredge where you can insert fillets if needed. Anything you insert between the boards will - as you've experienced - fall out when they shrink, but, could also cause them to warp and lift when they expand, which they will do again when it gets wet.

If you do end up re-cladding it then best bet would probably be to wrap it in Tyvek or a similar breathable barrier and then clad with feather edge. That way you won't have to remove the existing lining and any insulation. Of course, adding material to the exterior is dependent on sufficient overhang of the roof to protect the walls.

vickster

Legendary Member
My current bike store in a rowlinson security shed which i upgraded with extra lining to make it thicker, ground anchors etc .
the outer tongue and groove has shrunk so there are gaps in it which i tried filling but it still shrinks and falls out .
In all honesty i think i was diddled but its out of warranty .
Do i patch it up by covering it with feathredge board or bit the bullet and replace with a metal shed?
Unfortunately i cant afford an asgard shed as i need a full size shed and thats looking around £1500

My 4x29er Asgard was around £700 fitted, takes 4 full size drop bar bikes no problem

Hicky

Guru
Our asgard bike shed takes two MTB and two drop handlebars no probs, £550 screwfix....its only mid torso height though.
You would overboard the shed or felt the lot but it would be uber warm in there with any sun on it.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Our asgard bike shed takes two MTB and two drop handlebars no probs, £550 screwfix....its only mid torso height though.
You would overboard the shed or felt the lot but it would be uber warm in there with any sun on it.
got to be full size shed , only place i can store all the assorted gubbins and set the turbo up too

Drago

Legendary Member
Was it assembled during cooler, damper weather? Tongue and groove used outdoors typically needs to be assembled in dry, warm weather - expansion isn't usually a big deal with tongue and groove assemblies, but, as you've discovered, contraction can be a serious problem.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

Was it assembled during cooler, damper weather? Tongue and groove used outdoors typically needs to be assembled in dry, warm weather - expansion isn't usually a big deal with tongue and groove assemblies, but, as you've discovered, contraction can be a serious problem.
it was done in summer , 4 years or so ago

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

More i think about it im more inclined to clad , swmbo is thinking of getting house valued so buy a new shed then move sounds like hassle .

gasinayr

Über Member
I had the same problem with a wooden garage at my last house. I covered the whole thing with plastic cladding, same as used in housing for soffits and facings
Cost of cladding and corner trims was around £150.00 and it is not rocket science to fit

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

More i think about it im more inclined to clad , swmbo is thinking of getting house valued so buy a new shed then move sounds like hassle .

Top Bottom