Shed Dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
You could do worse than asking the advice of one Mr Jackson:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA8xTGP_M8g

keithmac

Guru
I have a metal 3mx4m shed come workshop, over 10 years old and good as new.

I'll eventually clad it to blend in with the wooden one next to it and the fence, sacrilege ripping down a perfectly good shed!.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
FB12.jpg

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Well I am now up shed creek.
We decided to get s combo greenhouse/ workshop/ bikeshed. A local guy who helped us with fencing and does a bit if building work offered to build it for the price of an off the shelf one that was just too low.in height
Now the material s bill is climbing to £1200 and labour of £400. The shed is too high and imposing and the woodwork too thick for a greenhouse.
We are maybe £300 short of completion.
Do i carry on and get something my wife says she hates
Do I do a Concorde and push through because of the sunk costs.
I hate being in this position, it is stressing me out too much.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
We decided to get s combo greenhouse/ workshop/ bikeshed. A local guy who helped us with fencing and does a bit if building work offered to build it for the price of an off the shelf one that was just too low.in height
Now the material s bill is climbing to £1200 and labour of £400. The shed is too high and imposing and the woodwork too thick for a greenhouse.
I would plough on if I was in your position. The money has been spent. Live with it for a year or two.
Can you make the timber on the green house section thinner. It doesn’t have to be very strong.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru

Any pictures?, I'd finish it and give it a year to weather in as said above as well.

OP
OP
M

MichaelW2

Guru
Well I decided to demolish the wonky oversized shed and build it myself. I created some level foundations using heavy concrete blocks and built a dwarf wall so the timber has a sound footing. Stuff got in the way and delayed the project but I am now at a critical juncture, the damp proof layer. Do I set the strip of plastic between the bricks, like in a house, or do I lay it on the top of the bricks and fix the timber through the plastic?
It looks like a single course of bricks on top of the damp proof course will have very little shear strength and very little weight above, so in high winds will it hold? I am considering removing the DPC and putting it on top for the timber. The final top course of bricks is only half done at the moment so not too much work to remove.
Any suggestions?

keithmac

Guru
I'd put plastic on top of bricks then decent treated timber as a "wall plate", are you suspending the floor?.

Top Bottom