Sheffield, Inner relief road junction opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
OK, so how would you all handle this junction. Its part of the inner relief road that’s just been opened in Sheffield.

(For Bonj et al, it’s the last bit before the new Ladys Bridge roundabout, if you’ve come from the Wicker or the Parkway)

It’s a dual carriageway, with a nice new red cycle lane down the left hand side. Traffics generally busy when I’d use it, predominantly around the morning rush hour.
Plenty of traffic lights, so you get Brands Hatch effect between each.

The last 30m before the lights, on this particular junction, it becomes a 3 lane road, as the 3rd lane appears on the outside. Unfortunately its this 3rd lane I want to be in, as this one takes off to the right, whilst the other 2 go straight on.

Highway codes OK, but doesn’t necessarily deal with some of the more complex road designs our planners seem to be dreaming up.

Am I supposed to fight my way across lanes, in thick traffic prior to getting to the lights. Or filter down the left, cutting across beyond the nice new ASL, hopefully before the light turns back to green and everyone piles on

Maz

Guru
gambatte said:
...Am I supposed to fight my way across lanes, in thick traffic prior to getting to the lights. Or filter down the left, cutting across beyond the nice new ASL, hopefully before the light turns back to green and everyone piles on
I would try and work my way across, a lane at a time, well in advance of the lights. If I didn't make it to my desired lane, I'd use the ASL to move across to the lane I need.

I know the junction you mean...is traffic heavy and steady when you're there?

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Maz said:
I know the junction you mean...is traffic heavy and steady when you're there?

Half, to a dozen cars in each lane, sprinting each section. I probably will work my way over earlier. Guess its just a case of getting used to it. I feel the cycle lane (and ability to filter down it) may be off putting as regards the way I'd normally look at such a junction

Noticed a thread about the entire layout on 'Sheffield forum' where one of the designers (Haydn1971) is defending it. I've politely asked him to explain the way their theoretical models envisaged cycle navigating this route.

bonj2

not sure what you mean by "the lady's bridge roundabout". lady's bridge is here. That's just the bus lane bit between the wicker and castle markets, there's no roundabout there.
do you mean the one that sits between nursery street and mowbray street?
see here , draw on there where you mean if you can.
and where are you eventually trying to get, down mowbray street?
if you can clarify where you mean i'll have a go at it on saturday and see how i think it should be done.

i've noticed corporation street is finally open UPWARDS! think it's the first time in over 10 years you've been able to go all the way up it from mowbray street to west bar.

Although nursery street leading onto blonk street is apparently going to soon be closed off! so i've heard from a comment on one of my youtube videos.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'd do what Maz says or else go a different route (probably not possible). 30m distance cars being potentially held up is hard cheese to them, it's not much and especially if there are lights. I'd not use the ASL for going right even if you could feel you could somehow time it right flicking across (seems unlikely). I think some of the stuff is half baked myself but I'm more concerned about other roundabout developments at the moment.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Hi Bonj,
Yep I referred to the wrong bridge. Its the area at the bottom of Corporation St. So as I'd end up looking at the little Tescos, before crossing the bridge that got its parapet knocked off in the floods

bonj2

Ok i know the one you mean. so, you're presumably coming from the end of saville street where you've got the wicker arches ahead but you turn right rather than going down the wicker, and you're wanting to end up where? down mowbray street? what's your eventual destination - somehwere near hillsborough?
just trying to think a bit larger scale, rather than the particular roundabout in question, so I can suggest what route i'd take.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Eventually ending up on Rutland Road, Bit lower down than the old 'Stanley Tools' factory and on the opposite side. If my office had a window, I'd be able to see the Ski Village.:blush:

Not sure they've thought this bit out properly... Just noticed, at this junction you can also shoot off down the bus gate to your right straight to Mowbray St. But that also entails you being over at the right hand side of the road.

I'm not saying the junctions not 'do-able', but it doesn't seem particularly friendly.

As to Sheffield Forum, the guy on there posted back last night. He basically said he'd post back today. He'd just got back from a p1ss up with a colleague who'd just got engaged. Reasonable excuse:biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sorry, I can't help, I rarely venture further north than Park Square and not really up on the northern roads. Is there not some Carlisle St/Gower St alternative route?

bonj2

gambatte said:
Eventually ending up on Rutland Road, Bit lower down than the old 'Stanley Tools' factory and on the opposite side. If my office had a window, I'd be able to see the Ski Village.:sad:

Not sure they've thought this bit out properly... Just noticed, at this junction you can also shoot off down the bus gate to your right straight to Mowbray St. But that also entails you being over at the right hand side of the road.

I'm not saying the junctions not 'do-able', but it doesn't seem particularly friendly.

As to Sheffield Forum, the guy on there posted back last night. He basically said he'd post back today. He'd just got back from a p1ss up with a colleague who'd just got engaged. Reasonable excuse:biggrin:
yes, I just had a walk out to tesco's (very convenient for me!) and I can see what you're trying to do.
And yes like you say there is that gaudy-green bus lane bit cutting through the middle of the roundabout, with a (very narrow looking) bike lane at the RIGHT of the road leading onto it. So what you could do is try to get over in time for that, but if you don't manage to, then just cross the bridge and try to get over in time for the second one that you originally mentioned.
What I'd do is get in primary position in the first lane EARLY, then signal right and when it's safe for you to move over a lane, get in primary position in the SECOND lane, once you're in this position I would have thought it wouldn't be too hard to move over into the right turn (third) lane.

Another option if you don't mind a bit of climbing* would be
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1467102

or if you're on your road bike ;):
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=1467113

*you do obviously get the reward though in the form of the whole of rutland road :biggrin: :sad:

marinyork said:
Bonj, or anyone else, did anyone get a free high viz jacket in the end?
no, never have yet...
I did get an auto-response email saying the bloke sending them out was on holiday, but that was ages ago. Can only assume it's a bloody long holiday these public servants get. Either that or they've forgot or been overwhelmed. Might chase it.

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I had thought of diverting off earlier. It had been on my mind as an alternative for if I got bored. From 'Centertainments', heading off towards the hospital on the A6102 (Upwell St/Owler lane) and then heading towards Rutland Road via Barnsley Road.

As to the junction itself, I'd been thinking pretty much the same as you said about how to handle it. I guess its just the first time down it on a bike, the cycle lane does beckon a bit??

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
On a side note: I was in the cage this afternoon (POETS) the section from here, back up to the Parkway was completely screwed. (I diverted up towards Meadowhell).

Nice to see on a cold day like this, how many bikes were out

bonj2

gambatte said:
I had thought of diverting off earlier. It had been on my mind as an alternative for if I got bored. From 'Centertainments', heading off towards the hospital on the A6102 (Upwell St/Owler lane) and then heading towards Rutland Road via Barnsley Road.

As to the junction itself, I'd been thinking pretty much the same as you said about how to handle it. I guess its just the first time down it on a bike, the cycle lane does beckon a bit??

yeah you could go that way, although i'd say barnsley road's a slog compared to burngreave road - trouble is you're losing altitude unnecessarily on upwell st (possibly even a bit on hawke st). Could turn left after hawke st and go all the way down carlisle st - only problem with carlisle st is, well, let's put it this way it's no polished marble. I sometimes think roadwork blokes use it to practice on.

also annoying speed bumps on rushby st.

Top Bottom