Sheffield route advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjb

In a couple of weeks I've got a lunchtime meeting in Nottingham so am hatching a cunning plan to get some much needed training in for the Kirklees Sportive at the end of April.

My plan is to cycle to Sheffield station from my home in Huddersfield, hop on the train to Nottingham with my bike and then cycle to our office at the other end for a well needed shower and change. I'll be coming into Sheffield on the A61 Penistone Road. Should hopefully be about 0730ish.

My problem is finding the best route to the station from the bottom of Penistone Road, especially now the new ring road has opened up. I only ever drive through Sheffield nowadays so my knowledge from when I lived there is pretty well redundant.

Can anyone suggest a route? I'm not too worried by busy traffic or hills, but would ideally prefer to avoid going round the ring road past the university and Decathlon (Hoyle St, Netherthorpe Rd, Upper Hanover St etc etc). I'll almost certainly be ctahing the train back to Huddersfield at the other end!

Thanks for any help in advance

Maz

Guru
i'd be tempted to stay on the A61 upto the Park Sq RAB, then straight over it to the station.
i no longer live in sheffield so best wait for regulars gambatte or bonj to come along and offer their suggestions.

OP
OP
sjb

sjb

Maz said:
i'd be tempted to stay on the A61 upto the Park Sq RAB, then straight over it to the station.
i no longer live in sheffield so best wait for regulars gambatte or bonj to come along and offer their suggestions.

I thought of that but I don't know whether you can do that with the new "inner ring road" configuration...thanks for the idea though

Landslide

Rare Migrant
I'd do the following (I used to commute this way from Hillsborough):

> Penistone Rd (A61)
> Shalesmoor (A61)
> there's a bus/taxi/bike-only filter lane on the right (green tarmac) (just after a pedestrian crossing) that takes you onto Gibraltar St
> straight over at West Bar roundabout
> pass the law courts on your left, turn R at the lights up Snig Hill
> L at lights (Castle St), follow road round to R (Waingate)
> Straight on at lights (crossing tramlines) follow road through Fitzallan Sq onto Flat St
> past bus interchange (on your L)
> turn L (harmer Lane)
> Turn R (A61 Sheaf St), the station's on your L

Hope that helps/makes sense!

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Landslides route looks good. probably the most direct. Could go up Netherthorpe, down Hanover, St Marys and left onto Shoreham. Nasy RAB beween Netherthorpe and Hanover though

bonj2

landslide's route probably most direct, and least hilly.
gambatte's route probably more fun, as you get a little workout up netherthorpe road and then the fun of descending hanover street. (the uni roundabout isn't that bad, you're only taking second exit so just take primary in the inside lane. - if you were going up to walkley from netherthorpe road then it might be a different matter, and one I don't think i would attempt, but straight on's not that hard.)

bonj2

sjb said:
I thought of that but I don't know whether you can do that with the new "inner ring road" configuration...thanks for the idea though

You can, but you don't need to - Landslide's route is shorter. You would have to just follow the signs for A61 S along the dual carriageway, going right the way down shalesmoor to corporation street, round past nursery street, cross the wicker, turn right onto parkway, cross park square and you're there. And this is the way cars would go. But as a cyclist you are entitled to go down bus lanes.
Mind you , the new ring road is a good road surface so probably quite fast and comfortable, and no particularly dangerous bits. In fact there is one tricky bit, you would have to get across into the second (maybe third) lane on the uphill bit of cutlers gate. So thinking about it would be better to go down nursery street, for which you would get in the right lane at the end of corporation street (where the signs saying 'bridgehouses' are) and go down nursery street, this is the 'traditional' route and from here you can still get to park square, although from nursery street it looks like you can't as there are some roadworky type red and white barriers but you can get through albeit there is only one lane.

road surface generally good on landslide's route, with the exception of the
"> L at lights (Castle St), follow road round to R (Waingate) "
bit.

bonj2

:idea: funny, i saw some black fiesta today who clearly didn't know which lane he needed to be in, then I saw why - a bright glowing screen in the middle of the dash.
a satnav which had obviously become confused.

Top Bottom