Shell Energy for broad band......anyone tried it.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
We get our gas and electric via them.
Yesterday I got a call offering broadband and telling me that, if I agree, I can sit back and they will do everything.
I had no idea they offered this service.
We are with Virgin for phones and tv at the moment.
Anyone got any useful thoughts on it ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Shell, as in the people who used to put a tiger in your tank?

I guess with the potential decline in fossil fuel use they'll be looking to diversify.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
We are with Virgin for phones and tv at the moment.
Anyone got any useful thoughts on it ?
Virgin have their own network and in most areas run their own cable / fibre to your house. Shell, like most others, use the BT / Openreach network, so the service you get will depend on where you are in relation to the telephone exchange, or if they have bothered to install fibre infrastructure.

Check what speed you can get and whether they will charge an installation fee if you don’t have an active BT line.

Unless I was paying way too much to Virgin I’d probably stick with them. No harm in telling VM you’re thinking of switching, of course - there are discounts to be had if you haven’t already negotiated.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Not tried them before. As above, I went with virgin because I couldn't get fibre with any other provider and I needed more than 6mbs. I'm now getting 200. But certainly check what infrstraucture they are going to use; they might promise "up to" x speed but that doesn't mean you'll get it. In my experience, all providers (like for like) have been ok, it all boils down to customer service should you have a problem, and Shell I've had no experience with

vickster

Legendary Member
Unless I was paying way too much to Virgin I’d probably stick with them. No harm in telling VM you’re thinking of switching, of course - there are discounts to be had if you haven’t already negotiated.
This. How do you plan to get your TV like sport beyond the free to air if you leave Virgin. As above, call retentions, say you’re planning to leave and what deal can they offer. I do this regardless every time I’m told my current 12-18 month contract is close to ending (With both Virgin for BB and Sky for TV).

Ive considered other providers (eg Sky), but speeds for a BT super fast fibre line offered here is too slow (I have 100mb Virgin). And the cost differential after the initial special offer for 3-6 months ends up being minimal esp with install fees and general aggro (like losing service when working from home)

presta

Guru
Anyone else used to ride around with tiger tails dangling from their handlebars?
1631121259999.png
1631121522076.png

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Unless there is a notable price issue if you are going to use the BT openreach network then BT themselves are the best choice IMO as you get free WiFi access off any BT router so it's free to look up emails twitter Cyclechat etc without using up data when away from home; like taking a break when out cycling provided you have stopped near houses; very rare IME not to find a BT WiFi connection in such circumstances.

Unless there is a notable price issue if you are going to use the BT openreach network then BT themselves are the best choice IMO as you get free WiFi access off any BT router so it's free to look up emails twitter Cyclechat etc without using up data when away from home; like taking a break when out cycling provided you have stopped near houses; very rare IME not to find a BT WiFi connection in such circumstances.
Does you sharing your router with BT wifi (to get the roam bit back) come out of your allowance? I assume a BT fibre contract is unlimited so shouldn't actually matter but I do wonder if some vague fair use limit might happen, and that would be a pain.

Mike_P

Guru
My fibre router has no allowance restrictions. IIRC there is an option to switch off the general access for any BT customer

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I use Shell Energy, which started as, if I remember correctly, Energy Direct for my landline and broadband. Competent and reliable so far, around 3 years in. I can't remember any outages due to their fault. I've no idea who competes with them these days but they looked cheapest around here when I signed on.

Top Bottom