Shifter cover broke off - glue it back on?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
The plastic cover from the front of my shifter was loose and then broke off, probably after it hit the deck a few weeks before.

Is there any reason I can't just glue it back in place, is it ever needed to remove it to make any adjustments?

Think the screw thread is either knackered or the screw is lost, no idea where to get another one.

Attachments

• IMG_20220323_142152_609~2.jpg
    IMG_20220323_142152_609~2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 6

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd use silicone to glue back on - sticks well, but you can take if off if needed.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Ah okay, I do have some wetsuit repair stuff I forgot about in the freezer, that'll probably do the trick. Bought it to fill in some nicks on a tyre but not sure it was that successful (or necessary).

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You could glue it. If you prefer to replace it with new it's listed as an "STI name plate" and that specific one (Tiagra 4700 is it?) is either part number 556269 for the left shifter or 803314 for the right shifter. That might at least help you track it down in the UK if you wanted a replacement and know a Shimano component supplier, sadly I only know a US supplier who retails bits that small.
They're only about a fiver with the fixing screw included, maybe your LBS can order you one from the catalogue.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
You could glue it. If you prefer to replace it with new it's listed as an "STI name plate" and that specific one (Tiagra 4700 is it?) is either part number 556269 for the left shifter or 803314 for the right shifter. That might at least help you track it down in the UK if you wanted a replacement and know a Shimano component supplier, sadly I only know a US supplier who retails bits that small.
They're only about a fiver with the fixing screw included, maybe your LBS can order you one from the catalogue.
Ah I do have a spare brand new shifter in a box somewhere, I could just take the cover and screw from that one. I think the brake cable needs to be loosened to access the screw and I'm loathe to touch my brakes when they're set up perfectly but will swap them over at some point. :smile:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Ah I do have a spare brand new shifter in a box somewhere, I could just take the cover and screw from that one. I think the brake cable needs to be loosened to access the screw and I'm loathe to touch my brakes when they're set up perfectly but will swap them over at some point. :smile:

This outfit are brilliant for small parts:

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/search/?term=shimano

si_c

Guru
I've replaced the name plate on Shimano shifters a couple of times on my old commuter after it had taken a heavy dunk and scratched them up way too much for my happiness.

The fixing screw is actually inside the lever, so you don't need to remove the cables, you can just loosen the pinch bolt at the caliper and then open the lever up to access the screw. Once done you can then reattach the cable at the caliper. Takes about 2 mins.

I got the replacements from SJS as @SpokeyDokey suggested rather than cannibalising a different shifter.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
I've replaced the name plate on Shimano shifters a couple of times on my old commuter after it had taken a heavy dunk and scratched them up way too much for my happiness.

The fixing screw is actually inside the lever, so you don't need to remove the cables, you can just loosen the pinch bolt at the caliper and then open the lever up to access the screw. Once done you can then reattach the cable at the caliper. Takes about 2 mins.

I got the replacements from SJS as @SpokeyDokey suggested rather than cannibalising a different shifter.
It's either £3, or £7 for a direct match, plus £3.50 postage, so I'll just pillage the one I already have. Screw is tiny, must be M1x3mm or something!

Top Bottom