Shifters not springing back...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My Shimano eight speed rapidfire shifters have started to shifters not spring back to their previous position. This happens on the lower thumb shifter when I change down gear: the shifter stays put and has to be pushed back with my index finger.

Half drowning the mechanism in WD40 hasn't had any effect.

I've had shifter mis and not change gear before now but not this. Is there a fix I can use, or are the shifter s wearing out?

If they are, what would be suitable 8-speed replacements? I've noticed some people trying to sell 9 speeds and saying they can be used as an 8 speed, but my understanding is that the spacing is different. Any thoughts?

Shouldn't be a problem getting replacements if needed. Lots available last time i looked, in several different groupsets.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No its will not
8speed sfifters work with 7 speed as the hub was made bigger to accommodate the extra cog so you would have a spare click but 9 speed basically pulls a little less each click so the range overall is the same as 8 so you would not be able to get the shifting right .

No its will not
8speed sfifters work with 7 speed as the hub was made bigger to accommodate the extra cog so you would have a spare click but 9 speed basically pulls a little less each click so the range overall is the same as 8 so you would not be able to get the shifting right .

That's what I thought. Thee will be some disappointed Ebayers though...

Evans still do an 8 speed combi brake/shifter.

I was referring to a seller that is selling some 9 seed shifters as "8/9 speed shifters" implying you can choose to use them with an 8 seed cassette. Would have helped if I'd linked to the posting, sorry.

Our local version of Evans is the massive Rose online shop. I'm pretty sure I can get the bits from there.

Ironically they are way off to the north of Germany, and I live a few K's from the Shimano Europe importer in Bad Canstatt, but such is the way of the modern world.

Top Bottom