Shifting: Shimano vs. Campag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick1979

I know I might have open a can of worms with this thread but this is a discussion forum after all! And it's time for me to choose between the two!

So what are the differences in user experience when shifting on both systems? I have tried both at various LBS and found out:
- The hood surface is smooth on Shimano and not on Campag
- The gear 'up' is done by the lever on Shimano and by a small plastic knob on Campag
what else?

(I'm thinking about middle range groupsets, let's say Veloce vs. 105)

RedBike

Campag tends to change with a bang/clunk which is kind of reasuring. Shimano is silent and smooth but can leave you wondering if you have just changed gear or not.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
On Shimano, the gear cables grow out of the sides of the brake levers, which makes it difficult to use a handlebar bag (should you want to).

On Campag, the gear cables go under the 'bar tape.

In my opinion, the Shimano levers are big, clumpy and ugly. Campags are a bit more svelte, and more comfortable. But it's only my opinion.

You may be able to have the best of both worlds.

k-dog

On Shimano, the gear cables grow out of the sides of the brake levers, which makes it difficult to use a handlebar bag (should you want to).

Not on the new Dura-Ace - they are now under the tape. They've changed the hood shape a little too - as have Campag so they're getting a bit more similar.

Will1985

Über Member
It seems that the latest Campag and Shimano shift levers are slowly morphing towards the opposite's shape with subtle changes.

You've left out SRAM which is an competent rival to the other two as well - this shifts with 2 varying degrees of inward motion of one lever, ie: 20deg and 40deg.

With the Campag, you don't have to have textured hoods either - you can swap them for a pair of Hudz.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
k-dog said:
Not on the new Dura-Ace - they are now under the tape. They've changed the hood shape a little too - as have Campag so they're getting a bit more similar.

Aye they have, but the groupset has doubled in price....;)

OP
OP
N

Nick1979

Uncle Phil said:
In my opinion, the Shimano levers are big, clumpy and ugly. Campags are a bit more svelte, and more comfortable. But it's only my opinion.

Completely agree with you about the aesthetic!

Yes I have remarked the 'bank/clung' on the Bianchi I have tested (compared to a 105 equipped Trek), I though the gear were badly set up!

After a 5 min ride of each, I found the Shimano way (push the gear lever/push the brake lever) more 'natural' than the Campag lever/knob way, but what do I know! What do you guys think?

On the Campag, the 'downshift' lever can be moved back/forward as well, but I can't tell why it is useful?

Yes, I've seen SRAM is making road groupset as well, but haven't got a chance to see it yet (and I don't think it's offered on the bikes I'm considering).

Top Bottom