Shifting Sturmey axles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chriscross1966

Über Member
On the 5-speed srf5w is it possible to shift the axle over to the drive side? In order to get chain clearance on the seatstay of a Brompton (long story, have fitted ridiculous chainring, nonnegotiable) I've had to put an extra locknut on the drive side... Unfortunately that means I've run out of thread to put the indicator nut on... But there is spare thread on the Non-drive side... Is it possible to loosen off the cones and pull the axle to the drive side 4 or 5 mm?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
No, the internal mechanism will go out of position,

View: https://youtu.be/R_Z0H2U6ejs

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
OK, watching that video made it a lot clearer... Think I've thought of a way to achieve what I need, if I fit the anti rotation washer inside the dropout it should work, it will get me the slight push over the stay needs but not cost me length on the threaded part overall. Be a tad of a faff to fit and remove each time, but that is true of a Brompton rear wheel anyway

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Yep, that worked, I've got clearance on the seat stay, the indicator but has plenty of thread to seat on, and I've managed to adjust the chain tensioner to deal with what is a pretty grimly cross-chained chainline for 1/8" chain.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Yep, that worked, I've got clearance on the seat stay, the indicator but has plenty of thread to seat on, and I've managed to adjust the chain tensioner to deal with what is a pretty grimly cross-chained chainline for 1/8" chain.
Can you 'flip' the sprocket over, I did that to improve the chainline on my 3spd SA after changing the crankset over (only works with a dished sprocket though)

OP
OP
chriscross1966

chriscross1966

Über Member
Yes, I've ended up using Alfine sprockets as they have more dish and filing down some redundant tube on the chainstay has got me clearance for a bigger sprocket. I'll have to keep an eye on the seat stay clearance, but if I can get a 21 in there I'll have a sensibly low bottom gear for hill climbing, despite the monster chainring.

Top Bottom