Shimagnolo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Is there any reason why I can't buy a Shimano equipped bike (Ultegra 10 speed), then change the shifters, rear mech rear wheel and cassette for Centaur 10 ? (run a Shimano Chainset and front mech with Campagnolo).

Out of interest, not that I intend to try it - will a Campagnolo shifter and rear (both 10 speed) mech run with a Shimano 10 speed cassette ? I know theat both types pull a different amount of cable, but the way the mech moves means a shift of one sprocket in each case. Since both are 10 speed, and a Mavic (for example) hub can be Shim/Campag both 130mm I'd have thought it would be ok. (I'm not interested in the Campag 10 with Shimano 9 RD/cassette etc etc)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On your first point, you can run any chainset and front mech with any groupset. i've done it many a time.

I believe the spacing on ten speed cassettes is close enough for both systems to work with each other, though not quite as smoothly on the gearchanges as keeping to one make.

Why would you want to buy a Shimano equipped bike and change the shift system to Campag? It would be a lot cheaper to go for a bike with a Centaur groupset already fitted, or just get the frame you want and build it to your own spec.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
Why would you want to buy a Shimano equipped bike and change the shift system to Campag? It would be a lot cheaper to go for a bike with a Centaur groupset already fitted, or just get the frame you want and build it to your own spec.

I just knew someone would ask this!

I like the clean look of the front end of a Campagnolo equipped bike.

I've been looking at the Planet X bikes, I don't want the Reynolds Solitude wheels on the Ultegra SL bike and the only other option on this is the Planet X Pro Carbon 50 wheels. So, a similar spec is the standard Ultegra bike for £999 I don't want the wheels that come with it and would sell them on and upgrade anyway. If I sell on the Ultegra shifters/mech cassette, I just might get close to the cost of the Centaur shifters,mech and cassette. Not having a matching chainset or calipers doesn't bother me.

Sourcing the parts myself will be more expensive any other way.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Dave Davenport said:
Can't you just buy a frameset and build it up exactly as you like?

No you can't buy a frame from Planet X. If you've ever built up a bike from scratch you'll know it starts to get aexpensive with every little item you have to but - stem, bars, tape, tubes tyres rim tape, maybe QR levers. Post Saddle, bottle cage. tubes tyres etc etc etc...

gavintc

Guru
I disagree about the cost. I built a frame up about 2 yrs ago over the winter. It worked out about the same price as an 'off the peg', but I decided on every part. The result was a bike that I have not changed in 2 yrs other than a new saddle. However, I appreciate the problem with Planet X - complete bike or nothing. Have a look at the carbon Ribble frames.

Agree with gavintc, I've built a couple of bikes from scratch and by shopping about it's worked out cheaper than off the peg and I've got exactly what i wanted.

Joe

Über Member
I'm running campag 10 speed shifters with shimano mtb cranks, 8 speed Sram cassette, and shimano derailleurs on my new commuter/tourer. I prefer the feel of the campag shifters (plus they are cheaper!) and I had the 8 speed mtb stuff lying around. Shifts perfectly and gives me some real low end gears for when I'm loaded.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Joe said:
I'm running campag 10 speed shifters with shimano mtb cranks, 8 speed Sram cassette, and shimano derailleurs on my new commuter/tourer. I prefer the feel of the campag shifters (plus they are cheaper!) and I had the 8 speed mtb stuff lying around. Shifts perfectly and gives me some real low end gears for when I'm loaded.
That is illegal, you know. Your bike can be confiscated and crushed if you get a pull.

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Steve Austin said:
What about emailing Planet X and asking them if they can do you a bike with a campag groupset?
They are usually very helpful

At the moment, they cant do Campag, and they can't do the Ultegra SL bike with anything other than the Reynolds Solitude or Pro Carbon 50 upgrade.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just get Shimano, and bite the bullet that the levers are ugly, but work better than Campag - always did :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:;):biggrin:;):biggrin:;) -

I don't like the Shimano lever arrangement with the cables....hence down tube shifters - my OLD Dura Ace worked better than C Record at the time, but it wasn't half as pretty though !

Top Bottom