Shimano 10 speed/11 speed compatibility

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steeler

Über Member
Sorry if this is a repeat of another query but.....

I have a 10 speed Deore rear derailleur (RD-M6000-GS) and although the Shimano website says that it's 10 speed only I'm wondering if anyone knows a hack to make it work with 11 speed shifters and cass- Shimano/Microshift etc.

Thanks.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
is this all shimano MTB stuff,?Ie. above RD but 11 spd MTB shifters and cassette?

if so i think the 10spd rd will work, provided your largest rear sprocket is 36 or less. the "11spd" derailleurs handle a bigger capacity to cope with 42T sprockets

if you are trying to mix 10spd MTB with 11 spd road stuff - forget it.

OP
OP
Steeler

Steeler

Über Member
So on the Shimano packaging it says 'RD-M6000-GS, 11-42T (10s)' - I'm thinking of setting up this unused RD in a 1x11 system with a 11-42 cassette. I've done a bit of online searching and the consensus appears to be that you can make it work but not perfectly. As I intend to use it for a commuter bike, perfect shifting isn't so important

GuyBoden

Guru
10 Speed Shimano MTB rear derailleurs have a different pull ratio. (Rear Shift Ratio)

I have been messing about with pull ratios and 10 speed Shimano Deore XT MTB RD for the last few weeks.

Personally, I'd just buy a 11 speed Shimano MTB RD, to match your MTB 11 speed cassette and MTB 11 speed shifters.

Top Bottom