Shimano 105 11 speed work with 11-36 rear cassette?- Update 17th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Advice please
I have Triban 540 that comes with Shimano 105 shifters, rear cassette is 11 speed, 11-30. The front is 52-36.
I would like to change the rear cassette to 11-36.
I will certainly need an extension to the rear derailleur.
Will it work?

All uphill

Still rolling along
Which rear derailleur do you have? What is its capacity?

You will need one with a capacity of 41 so that it can keep the chain tensioned. You will most probably need a goat tooth or similar to keep the jockey wheel out of the cassette, and you will need a longer chain.

Another option could be to fit a smaller crankset. I have a 46/30 from Spa. Something like that with your existing cassette would give you 16% lower gearing.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I did exactly the same for a tour, worked ok. You'll need a derailleur hanger extender, and most probably you'll not get the full range ie small/small will sag, which isn't a problem as it's not a great to use anyway. You'll need the longer of the two derailleur cage options, which basically means you need a new derailleur if the current set up has the short one. I think the newer ones have slightly larger range? Your current derailleur will have the model number stamped on it somewhere.

There is one golden rule:

*Always* check on the stand before riding that your chain is long enough to run big/big. Because if it isn't, when you accidentally engage that gear, it'll tear your drive train apart.

OP
OP
midliferider

You will need one with a capacity of 41 so that it can keep the chain tensioned. You will most probably need a goat tooth or similar.

Yes I got goat link and new chain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230407-204100.png
    Screenshot_20230407-204100.png
    30 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
midliferider
Another option could be to fit a smaller crankset. I have a 46/30 from Spa. Something like that with your existing cassette would give you 16% lower gearing.

Both rings are expensive.
Can I change the smaller one to 32.
There is a big difference between smaller and bigger one. But as I get older, speed is not so important.
What is important is to get to the top.

Alex321

Veteran
Both rings are expensive.
Can I change the smaller one to 32.
There is a big difference between smaller and bigger one. But as I get older, speed is not so important.
What is important is to get to the top.

52-32 is probably a bit too much difference between the chainrings. They usually recommend no more than 16 tooth difference for a 2x. You might get away with 18, but 20 is really pushing it.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Possibly* more expensive, but the sensible option is to change to a compact crankset 50-34, and an 11-34 cassette. No need for wolf tooths.

*Maybe look at ebay and do a buy and sell on the cranksets. You may end up about even

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As per the previous post, given what you are trying to achieve I would probably consider a change of crankset before going to extreme gears at the rear. Maybe even look at some of the gravel bike options? This grx600 set for £99 gives you 46/30 which would probably be just the thing provided it will work with the existing front mech.

https://www.bikeparts.co.uk/product...t-46-30-double-11-speed-2-piece-design-165-mm

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As per the previous post, given what you are trying to achieve I would probably consider a change of crankset before going to extreme gears at the rear. Maybe even look at some of the gravel bike options? This grx600 set for £99 gives you 46/30 which would probably be just the thing provided it will work with the existing front mech.

https://www.bikeparts.co.uk/product...t-46-30-double-11-speed-2-piece-design-165-mm

Only problem with that is that the GRX cranksets have a wider chainline to accomodate wider tyres on the rear. For that reason, Shimano say you need a GRX front derailleur. Some on various other forums have got them to work with Shimano road FDs, but results vary- some couldn't get them to work at all, or shifting was akward. Something third-party like the Miche Graff might be a better bet.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Only problem with that is that the GRX cranksets have a wider chainline to accomodate wider tyres on the rear. For that reason, Shimano say you need a GRX front derailleur. Some on various other forums have got them to work with Shimano road FDs, but results vary- some couldn't get them to work at all, or shifting was akward. Something third-party like the Miche Graff might be a better bet.

Wasn't aware of that, good to know.

D

Deleted member 121159

It will work fine with 11-36 if you have medium cage not short cage. However I do not recommend the cheap cassette and the goat link. I tried the cheap cassette and shifting was crap. When you look closely, it doesn't have the hyperglide sculpting and makes it horrible to use. Also goat link compromises shifting performance. The only reason it may be necessary is to clear the gap between the largest cog and the guide pulley. You don't have that problem with 36t, you'll be ablr to clear it just by using b screw. Therefore do not use goat link and use Sram 11-36 cassette.

Also why not just use 50-34 unless you absolutely need 52-11 which you don't. I think I spun out at 45 mph with 46-11 going downhill. Do you regularly go over 50mph on flat?

D

Deleted member 121159

I've got 36/26 chainrings and 11-40 cassette. Even with 11-34 cassette I can climb up 20% gradient easy. Top speed is capped at about 27mph on the flat with 36-11 which is absolutely fine with me. I don't have the power to maintain that speed for more than a few minutes. Going down, it gets up to 40mph easy so I don't need to pedal.

Top Bottom