Shimano 105 11 speed work with 11-36 rear cassette?- Update 17th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
midliferider
It will work fine with 11-36 if you have medium cage not short cage. However I do not recommend the cheap cassette and the goat link. I tried the cheap cassette and shifting was crap. When you look closely, it doesn't have the hyperglide sculpting and makes it horrible to use. Also goat link compromises shifting performance. The only reason it may be necessary is to clear the gap between the largest cog and the guide pulley. You don't have that problem with 36t, you'll be ablr to clear it just by using b screw. Therefore do not use goat link and use Sram 11-36 cassette.

Also why not just use 50-34 unless you absolutely need 52-11 which you don't. I think I spun out at 45 mph with 46-11 going downhill. Do you regularly go over 50mph on flat?

I agree. I am not interested in speed on flat. I hardly go over 15mph on flat.
I thought changing the cassette is easier and less expensive than changing the front to 50-34.

wonderloaf

Veteran
It will work fine with 11-36 if you have medium cage not short cage. However I do not recommend the cheap cassette and the goat link. I tried the cheap cassette and shifting was crap. When you look closely, it doesn't have the hyperglide sculpting and makes it horrible to use. Also goat link compromises shifting performance. The only reason it may be necessary is to clear the gap between the largest cog and the guide pulley. You don't have that problem with 36t, you'll be ablr to clear it just by using b screw. Therefore do not use goat link and use Sram 11-36 cassette.

Also why not just use 50-34 unless you absolutely need 52-11 which you don't. I think I spun out at 45 mph with 46-11 going downhill. Do you regularly go over 50mph on flat?

For a couple of thousand miles now I've actually been using one of the 'cheap' Airbike cassettes that the OP has bought and it shifts just as well as the previous Ultegra/105 cassettes that I've used in the past, I really can't tell any difference. Time will tell if it wears OK but if it does I'll be going back for another! For info mine is an 11-34T paired with a medium cage Ultegra rear mech and SRAM PC1110 chain.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I thought changing the cassette is easier and less expensive than changing the front to 50-34.

both pretty easy jobs to be honest, if you buy and sell lightly used changing chain-set might actually be cheaper.

what you do get with changing front is a regular set up, that will change more slickly, rather than a dodgy back end with wolf teeth etc.

CXRAndy

Guru
You can with the correct derailleur have setups like 50/34 or 48/32 Crank with 11-42 cassette.

I run a triple crank Di2 derailleurs with 50/36/26 and for mountain tours 11-40 cassette

OP
OP
midliferider
both pretty easy jobs to be honest, if you buy and sell lightly used changing chain-set might actually be cheaper.

what you do get with changing front is a regular set up, that will change more slickly, rather than a dodgy back end with wolf teeth etc.

I have never used a hanger extender (goat/wolf teeth link) before. I got one from eBay for £4 and fixed it. But didn't change the cassette just to see whether it actually works.
It is working well. I can shift without any issues. Actually I didn't even have to reindex the gears.
So next step is to change the cassette and see.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some interesting discussion here. My 50/34 105 R7000 chainset is getting a bit long in the tooth so I might start planning my next move soon. I have an identical spare so I'll probably fit that but the idea of dropping down to a subcompact has crossed my mind as I don't spend all that much time in the big ring.

D

Deleted member 121159

For a couple of thousand miles now I've actually been using one of the 'cheap' Airbike cassettes that the OP has bought and it shifts just as well as the previous Ultegra/105 cassettes that I've used in the past, I really can't tell any difference. Time will tell if it wears OK but if it does I'll be going back for another! For info mine is an 11-34T paired with a medium cage Ultegra rear mech and SRAM PC1110 chain.

I think shifting quality on that cassette varies depending on the RD you've got. I heard that older generation Shimano RDs are more tolerant of these non-hyperglide cassettes. Newer "shadow" style RDs apparently suffer more. If you watch videos by tracevelo on YouTube, he's done a lot of testing with Chinese cassettes. My personal experience was that Shimano cassettes are noticeably superior.

D

Deleted member 121159

Which chainset have you got? You can experiment with the cheap cassette which is still 30-40 quid. If you get the Sram one it's like 70 quid. So replacement chainrings (not the whole chainset) might be cheaper.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
midliferider
I think shifting quality on that cassette varies depending on the RD you've got. I heard that older generation Shimano RDs are more tolerant of these non-hyperglide cassettes. Newer "shadow" style RDs apparently suffer more. If you watch videos by tracevelo on YouTube, he's done a lot of testing with Chinese cassettes. My personal experience was that Shimano cassettes are noticeably superior.

It is very likely that Shimano is a better cassette. But I choose Airbike cassette for two reasons. Shimano don't do 11-36. At least I couldn't find one on the internet.
This bike is for touring or occasional weekend rides. It is not for racing or sportives etc.

D

Deleted member 121159

52-36.
I may get away with changing the 36 to 34?

I think you'll get away with changing to 34. People have done similar with no problems.

I don't mean to disparage affordable Chinese made parts by the way. I use them wherever I can. I literally just meant that the cassette is cheaper than Shimano or Sram ones.

OP
OP
midliferider
I think you'll get away with changing to 34. People have done similar with no problems.

I don't mean to disparage affordable Chinese made parts by the way. I use them wherever I can. I literally just meant that the cassette is cheaper than Shimano or Sram ones.

Thanks.
Everyone recommends changing the chain when cassette is changed.
Same applies with change of the front ring?

wonderloaf

Veteran

I'm using an R8000 Ultegra RD which I believe is a shadow mech so not an old mech. Maybe I just got lucky, guess I'll find out if this cassette lasts the distance and I buy another.

Top Bottom