Shimano 105 11 speed work with 11-36 rear cassette?- Update 17th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tripletail52

Thanks.
Everyone recommends changing the chain when cassette is changed.
Same applies with change of the front ring?

Because of RD chain wrap capacity?

If you're keeping 11-30 cassette and just changing to 34 at the front, the chain will be slacker on the small front ring as you're going from 36 to 34 with the same chain length. However, the RD may be able to take up the slack as it's only 2t difference. If the chain gets too slack then fortunately you only have to remove a couple links and see if it makes it better. That's what I'd do anyway.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Because of RD chain wrap capacity?
I think it's more to do with using new components with other new components. Not using a grungy worn chain on a nice new cassette or vice versa, because an old chain may have become worn in partnership with an old cassette and the resulting new/old combo may skip. I think that's the thinking behind it anyway.

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
If the chain gets too slack then fortunately you only have to remove a couple links and see if it makes it better.

As long as you check it in big/big on the stand before riding. Because if it's too short for that combo then you'll tear your drivetrain apart when you accidentally end in it.

tripletail52

As long as you check it in big/big on the stand before riding. Because if it's too short for that combo then you'll tear your drivetrain apart when you accidentally end in it.
I think the OP is talking about if they just change the small front ring from 36 to 34. The chain is measured for 52/36 + 11-30 so it's already long enough but might get a little slack with 52/34.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I think the OP is talking about if they just change the small front ring from 36 to 34. The chain is measured for 52/36 + 11-30 so it's already long enough but might get a little slack with 52/34.

If you shorten the chain, it may not be long enough for the big/big 52/30 combo.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Everyone recommends changing the chain when cassette is changed.
Same applies with change of the front ring?
New cassette and new chain, as said.
No - same does not apply. Entirely reasonable to assume ring will be fine.
But if, with a new cassette and chain it does slip, then yes: new ring time. Check both rings for assurance: likely one ring will slip and the other(s) won't. Here's an image of the old (which slipped) and the new (now fitted obv). That middle ring had done about 12,000km (probably half the distance on that bike).
Worn chainrings are easier to assess by eye.

Chainring_teeth.jpg

Last edited:

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Another way of identifying a worn chainring is how the chain doesn't engage with the teeth properly apart from at the front of the ring - as per below before (apologies for the condition, but I didn't bother cleaning it as I knew it was due for replacement) & after (plus new chain) pics
Worn...
Original Ventus - before (2).JPG

New...
Original Ventus - after (2).JPG

OP
OP
midliferider
Thank you all for your advice, comments and suggestions.
There was an issue with my Triban 540. The skewers can not be removed, perhaps due to rust. I am on the FB market place for a bargain wheel.

But as I have already bought items, I used it in another bike Norco Valance. It has same Shimano 105 group set, front is compact with 50-34 but rear 11 speed is 11-28.
I used a goatlink, extender to extend the short cage
Airbike 11-36 cassette
SRAM 11 speed chain
It is all working fine. Components cost just over £50. I think it is really worth it.

Top Bottom