Shimano 105 5700 to 5800 upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
I have three bikes with 5700 shifters, after a ride I have them upside down on the bench, I always squirt GT85 into the levers, down the gear and brake cables with a squirt on the deraileurs, everything is functioning as day one.

OP
OP
Broadside

Broadside

Guru
I have three bikes with 5700 shifters, after a ride I have them upside down on the bench, I always squirt GT85 into the levers, down the gear and brake cables with a squirt on the deraileurs, everything is functioning as day one.
I have always left shifters alone until they play up, perhaps this is my mistake. I’ve got another 4 bikes with 105, Tiagra and Sora, the rest of them do far less miles as they are for my wife and kids, but I now wonder if I should be squirting something in to the levers as preventative maintenance.

It hadn’t really occurred to me before but from this thread it seems that some people do this regularly anyway. I think I should follow suit!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't know about Shimano, because they are 'non-repairable' but when I sent in a set of Campag ergos for service/repair the company said the white spray grease I'd used was "not helpful"

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't know about Shimano, because they are 'non-repairable' but when I sent in a set of Campag ergos for service/repair the company said the white spray grease I'd used was "not helpful"
Because they spend time having to clean it up.

Shimano's are lubed from the factory with a white grease, so replacing tired, dry white grease with new and squidgy white grease is very helpful.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
WD40 dries to leave a sticky residue which tends to defeat to purpose of freeing the brifters mechanism.
GT85 leaves Teflon (PTFE) which is a dry lube/friction reducer so it doesn't attract dirt.

Regular treatment should keep everything working fine.

Top Bottom