Shimano 105 cassettes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have some birthday money coming my way shortly. I'm thinking of upgrading the cassette from a 10 speed 12-28T Tiagra to a Shimano 105. I notice this comes in a variety of sizes, i.e. 11-25 / 12-25, 11-28, 12-28 etc... I know these relate to the number of teeth on the largest/smallest cog and therefore the interval between each one. What I don't know is if the chain for a 12-28T cassette would work on say an 11-25 cassette.

Any suggestions?
FYI -my chain only has about 400 miles on it so is still relatively new. For some reason the bike just came with a Tiagra cassette when the rest of the kit is 105?!?!?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
in a nutshell.
Yes.

Is there any reason why you are changing the cassette?
Might as well wait until it's worn.
You will notice no different between the cassettes if you buy like for like.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is a bit of a pointless upgrade really, unless you care about a few grams. If I was running a Dura-Ace groupset, I would still run Tiagra or 105 cassette's. Cheaper to replace.

400bhp

Guru
It is a bit of a pointless upgrade really, unless you care about a few grams. If I was running a Dura-Ace groupset, I would still run Tiagra or 105 cassette's. Cheaper to replace.

^^This^^

Let it wear out then replace with a 105 if you must.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
A DA cassette costs about £130-160, a cassette will need replacing probably twice a year, maybe more if running a high end cassette all the time (they have titanium big rings to save weight but these wear faster, that's why people train on 105 or equivalent and race on DA) or riding a lot of miles and in bad weather. For 1 year's use of DA, you could have 5 years worth of Tiagra cassette's.

To make this example a bit less dramatic and relevant to you, rather than just waffling, a 105 cassette is ~£40, a Tiagra cassette £25, assuming you use 2 a year. £80 vs £50. You can have 1.5 years worth of Tiagra for a years worth of 105, with no noticeable detriment to performance other than a bit of weight (probably wouldn't ever notice that either). Personally I would opt for 105 over tiagra faced with your decision but only WHEN the current cassette is worn out. Reason being the 105 is only a bit more expensive and IMO 105 gives the best weight/performance/longevity ratio for the £££ but beyond this point I wouldn't bother upgrading parts like cassettes because the price jumps become increasingly large and for the average joe, probably not economical.

If knowing you have a certain grade cassette makes you feel better, or you just want it for one reason (weight) or another, then go for it, enjoy it. Just trying to highlight that these are consumable items and long term economics of use might be worth considering.

Top Bottom