Shimano 105 Hydraulic Shifters - Noisy/Chattering

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dzzi

My new bike which iv'e been riding since May has a 105 Hydraulic set up. My other bike has SRAM apex.
The 105 levers just seem to be quite noisy/rattling over rough ground. If i go down in the drops and gently press the paddles it does get a bit better... Is this is a fault/set up issue ... tricky to say without seeing/hearing i know.

lpretro1

All shifters will rattle to some extent on rough stuff - even Dura Ace!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have the 105 hydraulic shifters (Shimano ST-RS505) on my new bike and after 100 miles including some of my usual hopping and hooliganism plus some enthusiastic rough trail riding have not noticed any rattling. Are you sure it is the shifters and not something else (loose headset maybe?).

Not wanting to take the thread off topic but @Kestevan how are you getting on with your bike now? Didn't you have a new R/H shifter fitted due to brake problems? I seem to be getting the odd missed shift when trying to move to a smaller sprocket mid-cassette. I press the lever and it moves without engaging so try it again and it works perfectly. I can't decide if I am imagining it or not yet so watch this space...
Also, it is a carbon Grade I have just bought (down to £1400 from wiggle :okay:) and at first I thought I had made a terrible mistake as it felt so wrong and handling was just really woolly! I changed the stem from the 120mm one fitted to an 80mm one I had in stock and the bike is transformed. How are you getting on with the bikes handling?

OP
OP
D

Dzzi

i'm pretty sure its the shifters, i've had the headset looked at and it did need tightening, what makes me think its the shifters is that the noise is reduced if i hold the levers..i think i might pop it into the LBS see what he thinks...

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I have the 105 hydraulic shifters (Shimano ST-RS505) on my new bike and after 100 miles including some of my usual hopping and hooliganism plus some enthusiastic rough trail riding have not noticed any rattling. Are you sure it is the shifters and not something else (loose headset maybe?).

Not wanting to take the thread off topic but @Kestevan how are you getting on with your bike now? Didn't you have a new R/H shifter fitted due to brake problems? I seem to be getting the odd missed shift when trying to move to a smaller sprocket mid-cassette. I press the lever and it moves without engaging so try it again and it works perfectly. I can't decide if I am imagining it or not yet so watch this space...
Also, it is a carbon Grade I have just bought (down to £1400 from wiggle :okay:) and at first I thought I had made a terrible mistake as it felt so wrong and handling was just really woolly! I changed the stem from the 120mm one fitted to an 80mm one I had in stock and the bike is transformed. How are you getting on with the bikes handling?

Hmm. where to start?

Yeah, I had the R/H shifter replaced under warranty. It started with Brake issues (brake locking on and "sticking" when not used), and it repeatedly failed to switch gears. Main symptom started out as a missed shift as you describe, but this got worse and worse. It felt almost as though the lever was only partially engaing the ratchet before "slipping off". Finally tried to replace the cable and discovered it could no longer be indexed/shifting was borked, new lever fitted and not had any issues since then.

WRT the handling, I've never had an issue, it handles perfectly for me. Theres no way I could shorten the stem (in fact I'm considering going out to 130mm) as it's already a tad small for me...but I think I may have a smaller frame than you - I've got the 56 despite being 6'2".... the 58 standover height was just a bit close for comfort on my admittedly short-for-my-height legs.

What wheels did yours come with? cos I and many other owners have had "issues" with the factory Stans no Tube wheels. Both of mine were badly built and have broken numerous spokes, and the rear rim was pringled.... so much so I shelled out for a new set from Superstar (same rim but a higher spoke count). I've since had the originals rebuilt and I'm using them as a spare/fitted with cyclocross tyres for playing in the woods :smile:

I did put the bike up for sale at one point, it was a prize in a competition and I normally prefer something lower and more aggressive. But to be honest I've now got used to it and find it's a superb all-rounder and mile eater.
I'm still sort of hankering after something less endurance based, but just can't justify it at the moment as the GT is just so damn good. Oh and take it to some mild offroad place like Sherwood Pines and you can really put the wind up the guys on the full suss MTBs.... should see their faces as you blast past on the drops :evil:

oh and BTW @I like Skol are you coming out to play on the Leeds-Scarborough ride in Sept?

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That is worrying about the shifting issues. I have had to tinker with the indexing since receiving the bike because it was miles out (Bad on you Wiggle! It wasn't even close and I am sure the hanger wasn't knocked in transit). It is now working but still haven't hit the sweet spot and am getting some chain noise from the back but nothing consistent. Next port of call was to check the hanger (again) and then replace the cable outer because I don't think it is Shimano. Hope my shifter isn't heading the same way as yours......
EDIT: Loving the handling now. On the 58cm frame and find steeps and steep chutes are a blast. @potsy watched me do something yesterday (well, I think he did because he may have had his eyes closed. He kept telling me not to do it because I would kill myself :laugh:). If the wheels start to give any trouble I will oder up some fresh spokes and rebuild them myself.

Top Bottom