Shimano 105 shifters - 10 or 11 speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IBarrett

Über Member
Is it possible to identify my shifters as 10 or 11 speed?

I was attempting to tune the Shimano 105 rear derailleur last night and I found when I get to the bottom of the cassette (smallest cog) I have another click left on the thumb lever, although it does nothing with the derailleur when I use this.
Couldn't that be because of the bottom stop though.

When I've clicked down and its done nothing it will take 2 clicks to get the derailleur to shift up (off the small cog inwards toward the wheel)

My cassette is 10 speed so does this mean my shifters are 10 and/or 11 speed compatible?

I've also found if I use the shift/brake lever to shift it does 2 things
small movement left clicks once and shifts up 1 cog
large movement left clicks twice and shifts up 2 cogs

Is this a standard feature.

Thanks for your help and I hope this wasn't a numpty question.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The travel stop screw prevents the derailleur from going any further outwards. I generally tighten the cable so that the last click takes the chain onto the smallest cog, there may be a reason for this but my own reason is to keep the cable taut and rattle-free. Some Shimano shifters do have an extra click and sometimes you can get an extra gear out of them but in your case you couldn't fit an 11 speed cassette because the gear spacing is different between 10 and 11 speed.

And yes, SIS can give you a double shift or even a treble sometimes, I believe.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Peel the hoods back and look for a number eg 5700. Highly likely it is 10 speed as otherwise you wouldn't have been able to shift properly on the 10 speed cassette previously.

Look for an 'Adjusting rear derailleur' video and set it up properly. @Globalti has given you pointers already.

Last edited:

Mile195

Veteran
I have 105 10-speeds, and they do indeed have an "extra" click in them. I too get it at the bottom end, but it doesn't wind out any further as the stop screw on the derailleur prevents it going any further.
Yes, you can shift more than one gear at a time on them. Or you can click once, then push it a bit further (but without getting another click) to "trim" that gear and it will make the derailleur hold that position (ie, won't drop back to where the "click" was).

Hopefully that makes sense. I know I've not written it terribly well!

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
No Mile195, that was written excellently and I now know I'm not going mad and everything I saw happening last night is perfectly normal.
Thank you to you and globalti for taking the time to post the details you have, It helps a lot.

Ajax bay, I'll check for a number. I didn't know there would be anything so didn't look, thanks for the pointer.

the snail

Guru
Is it possible to identify my shifters as 10 or 11 speed?

I was attempting to tune the Shimano 105 rear derailleur last night and I found when I get to the bottom of the cassette (smallest cog) I have another click left on the thumb lever, although it does nothing with the derailleur when I use this.
Couldn't that be because of the bottom stop though.

When I've clicked down and its done nothing it will take 2 clicks to get the derailleur to shift up (off the small cog inwards toward the wheel)
That could happen if the shifter wasn't in the lowest gear when the cable clamp was tightened on the derailleur - can you change onto the largest sprocket ok?

OP
OP
IBarrett

IBarrett

Über Member
That could happen if the shifter wasn't in the lowest gear when the cable clamp was tightened on the derailleur - can you change onto the largest sprocket ok?
Yes, it goes through the full range. It was a bit sticky coming down from the larger cogs so I started tweaking it. I managed to get it all working ok but faffed with it some more and buggered it up, then got shouted at like a kid to come in for dinner so had to leave it.

E-rider - the bike is new to me but not new. And I've only been cycling since last Oct so don't have a breadth of knowledge yet. But I'm by no means a muppet with tools and am learning fast.
Hence my comment that I hoped it wasn't a numpty question.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You will never get good shifting if the cable outer is manky, dirty, rusted up and sticky where it curves round to the RD. Invest in some cable cutters, buy half a metre of cable outer from your LBS and get into the habit of replacing that short length of cable outer every six months or more frequently in winter. As I have just learned, the 10 speed "700" generation of 105 and Ultegra, which was Shimano's first hidden cable effort, is very vulnerable to sticky cables. With the "800" version (Ultegra 6800 for example) they increased the cable pull ratio and hence the "gearing" making the system more robust. When you do replace that short length of cable, be sure to smear grease or vaseline or lanoline on the exposed ends before fitting the plastic ferrules in the hope of giving it some waterproofing. Also be sure to use only Shimano inner cables as they are more flexible and slippery than bulk buy cable inners from your LBS. I even resorted to polishing mine before reassembling.

I've gone over to 11 speed 6800 now and am very happy with the improvement in performance.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Just a small point but 105 levers don't have a thumb shift so it's almost certainly a setup issue as I'd guess you either have old Tiagra (new ones have a similar inner lever shift to 105) or Sora levers. Neither as far as I know come in 11 speed.

10sp 105 5700
105SHIFT.jpg

11sp 105 5800
shimano105shifters.jpg

If the shifters are the same as the top they are 10sp, likewise 11sp if the bottom, the new Tiagra is the same shape as the the 5800 but 10sp and available as a triple.

Svendo

Guru
Is it possible that in adjusting the derailleur, the lowest gear (largest sprocket) has been 'missed out', and the the extra click is actually the one that should take the derailleur from the second smallest to the smallest?
I've done this myself trying to get worn drive trains with dodgy cables to work properly, although usually the other way trying to get the multi shift up the sprocket to work. Very frustrating when you feel all smug then check all the gears and quickly your mood changes to oh sod it you twit!

Mile195

Veteran
Also be sure to use only Shimano inner cables as they are more flexible and slippery than bulk buy cable inners from your LBS. I even resorted to polishing mine before reassembling.

+1... By way of an experiment I bought Wilkinsons own cable inners (£1.99 each) last time just to see if there really was as much difference as I'd always assumed there was. That was four months ago and in the last few weeks I've started having problems with shifting that I know will be instantly resolved as soon as I've gone back to decent cables. Basically they were fine until the weather turned and then began to corrode seemingly overnight. Buy cheap, buy twice, as they say...

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Shimano cables are made from finer stainless wire and look almost braided rather than twisted.

Top Bottom