Shimano 105 won’t change up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
On this morning’s ride, I discovered that my rear shifter wouldn’t change up - the small lever wasn’t “clicking” when pushed to the left.

It would change down OK, but not up - which is why I found myself 10 miles from home, stuck in first gear :-(

After a bit of wiggling the levers around, the problem seemed to sort itself, and the rest of the journey was uneventful.

Youtube videos seem to suggest that this isn’t uncommon, and a spray with degreaser or WD40 to “flush out” the mechanism in the shifter, followed by a re-lube with light oil (with PTFE) and a touch of grease on the visible moving parts, should sort it out.

Does anyone have any wisdom to add on this subject ?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Gear cable fraying? It'll often part-change before it snaps.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The nature of the cable routing on 'brifters', both SRAM & Shimano, is that the cables go round very tight curves inside the shifter, and this is where the wear occurs. Usually invisible, it will let you know it's broken when it breaks. Happened to my front mech shifter, SRAM Apex, after 9,500 miles of all year round commuting. For the sake of a few hours you can change all the cables. Took a bit of swearing thought:laugh:

Top Bottom