shimano 8/9 speed hubs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GazK

Veteran
I am now in a position to build a new set of wheels for my "gentleman" tourer, having finished a musson patent trueing stand. I want to use shimano 105 hubs, with an 8 or 9 speed setup. I like the look of the 5500 hub on the SJS website - the chrome will suit the bike. But the 5500 rear hub seems to be discontinued, and the 5600 does not come in chrome. Can anyone suggest a suitable stockist or alternative hub? Ps budget is tight so Phil woods etc is not an option!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd recommend giving Spa Cycles a call and having a chat with them, I've found them very helpful for this sort of thing.

OP
OP
GazK

GazK

Veteran
I'd recommend giving Spa Cycles a call and having a chat with them, I've found them very helpful for this sort of thing.

Thanks Mac - I''ll give them a bell. Looking at their site, these caught my eye. They look sweeeet, and seem to get good write-ups on the net. Anyone had any experience with them? Only things I'm not sure of are, 1) sealed bearings - are these user-maintainable? I hate throwaway culture, and 2) open cam skewers. Sheldon says there are the devils work, and as we all know Sheldon was never wrong. Was he?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Not used them but I do have a rear wheel on order from Spa with the Zenith King Kong fixed/free hub. This will be the 4th wheel I've ordered from them. I've spoken to them re all the wheels and various other parts and I've always had the impression they're trying to sell me the most approrpriate item for my needs. Twice I've ended up not purchasing at all as they didn't feel it the item was needed.

Top Bottom