Shimano A520 vs A530 vs A600

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Portableaj

Ok so basically im gonna be planning to get some clipless pedals for my road bike and im not so convinced with road pedals however i thought of getting shimano spd mountain bike pedals but i ended finding touring pedals and shoes which are a mixture between the two which of these pedals do you think are better all round

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't know about the 600s, but I have both the others.

I really do not like my A520s. When riding with them they are fine, but if you stop then the pedal will not turn the right way up to re-engage very well so I have scrapes all over the bottom of the left pedal.

The A530s are big heavy pedals, but they do end up spud side up most of the time so you can clip in easily enough, and the underside is a reasonably good flat pedal if you want to ride in normal shoes. I have them on my singlespeed/hack for this reason.

To be honest I find the simple M520 double sided pedals a far better option for a road or touring bike than the A520 or A530.

YMMV of course

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

I don't know about the 600s, but I have both the others.

I really do not like my A520s. When riding with them they are fine, but if you stop then the pedal will not turn the right way up to re-engage very well so I have scrapes all over the bottom of the left pedal.

The A530s are big heavy pedals, but they do end up spud side up most of the time so you can clip in easily enough, and the underside is a reasonably good flat pedal if you want to ride in normal shoes. I have them on my singlespeed/hack for this reason.

To be honest I find the simple M520 double sided pedals a far better option for a road or touring bike than the A520 or A530.

YMMV of course
how does it cope with long distances because it has a smaller contract area

HovR

Über Member
what the longest distance u have gone using them roughly

I'd hazard a guess at around 65 miles, possibly a tad more. Not the longest distance ever, but I have to say I've never at any point had any foot discomfort even when using my cheap shoes. A nice stiff sole is the key, in my opinion, then pedal contact area isn't quite so important.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

I'd hazard a guess at around 65 miles, possibly a tad more. Not the longest distance ever, but I have to say I've never at any point had any foot discomfort even when using my cheap shoes. A nice stiff sole is the key, in my opinion, then pedal contact area isn't quite so important.
fair enough im planing to get a the shimano rt 32 shoes

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I use both m520`s and a600`s and as mentioned if your have shoes with a stiff enough sole there is not much difference as i have ridden both pedals on club runs/sportives .The main difference is that the m 520`s are double sided and are quicker to click in whereas the ones you have listed are single sided so you might need to flick them round a bit depending on how the tilt .
The a 530`s are single sided but the other side has a traditional flat pedal if you plan to ride your bike in normal shoes at times this might be a benefit.

nickg

Über Member
I'm going to watch this very closely as I'm looking to step in to the clipless scene soon and will probably upgrade my pedals and get shoes.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
I'm using A530's on my road bike, having changed from the as sold toe clip pedals. The idea was that I might need the flat sided option if I nip off to the shops on the bike. As it happens, I haven't ridden without the cleated shoes yet. The shoes I wear are cheap and cheerful jobs from Aldi.

As far as getting the pedals orientated for re-attachment after a temporary halt, It seemed a bit awkward at first, but now I'm used to it I find a quick look down to the left pedal, a gentle flick if needed, and click, I'm re-attached. Usually, the pedal comes back round already the right way up, so it may well be made slightly biased by the manufacturer. These are definitely a good option with only one bike in the house.

nickg

Über Member
Well I have a mtb which I use to commute on, only a mile each way and I'm happy to lock that up outside the shops where as my wilier I don't want to be doing that. So I guess double sided is an option for me. I need to read up on clipless pedals,cleats and shoes and I'm not sure what works and what does not together.

Erudin

Veteran
I use A520 SPD pedals on my audax/tourer bike and find they support the feet a bit better than double-sided designs on my MTBs due to the wide platform, the Shimano M530 Trail pedal looks like it has a similar contact area (Planet X are selling them for £20 with cleats!).

On the 200km audax rides I've done most of the other riders have been using regular M520-style double-sided spd pedals, I reckon getting a spd shoe that has a stiff sole and fits well is more important than the pedal.

"More importantly in terms of function, the platform is shaped to provide maximum support for the rubber bars found on mtb-type soles either side of the cleat. The contact area is substantial on both sides of the pedal, preventing lateral rocking as well as ensuring effective power transfer.

Read more: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/bike-reviews/shimano-pd-a-520-pedal/2525.html#ixzz0qXzop8hM

See also: SPD Pedal Compendium; styles, bearings, tools for overhaul, links.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I use the Shimano M520s and Shimano M007 MTB shoes for both my Hybrid and road bikes.
I like the shoes as you can walk in them quite comfortably, they are light and give a stable platform. Quite suitable for road bikes.
If using road shoes then Shimano M530 pedals would be a better option with their extra support. Especially for longer distances.

OP
OP
Portableaj

Portableaj

I use the Shimano M520s and Shimano M007 MTB shoes for both my Hybrid and road bikes.
I like the shoes as you can walk in them quite comfortably, they are light and give a stable platform. Quite suitable for road bikes.
If using road shoes then Shimano M530 pedals would be a better option with their extra support. Especially for longer distances.
Go double sided. Makes like much easier. And as CN says, contact area is largely irrelevant if your shoals are stiff enough.
I use A520 SPD pedals on my audax/tourer bike and find they support the feet a bit better than double-sided designs on my MTBs due to the wide platform, the Shimano M530 Trail pedal looks like it has a similar contact area (Planet X are selling them for £20 with cleats!).

On the 200km audax rides I've done most of the other riders have been using regular M520-style double-sided spd pedals, I reckon getting a spd shoe that has a stiff sole and fits well is more important than the pedal.

"More importantly in terms of function, the platform is shaped to provide maximum support for the rubber bars found on mtb-type soles either side of the cleat. The contact area is substantial on both sides of the pedal, preventing lateral rocking as well as ensuring effective power transfer.

Read more: http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/bike-reviews/shimano-pd-a-520-pedal/2525.html#ixzz0qXzop8hM

See also: SPD Pedal Compendium; styles, bearings, tools for overhaul, links.
Well I have a mtb which I use to commute on, only a mile each way and I'm happy to lock that up outside the shops where as my wilier I don't want to be doing that. So I guess double sided is an option for me. I need to read up on clipless pedals,cleats and shoes and I'm not sure what works and what does not together.
I'm going to watch this very closely as I'm looking to step in to the clipless scene soon and will probably upgrade my pedals and get shoes.
I use both m520`s and a600`s and as mentioned if your have shoes with a stiff enough sole there is not much difference as i have ridden both pedals on club runs/sportives .The main difference is that the m 520`s are double sided and are quicker to click in whereas the ones you have listed are single sided so you might need to flick them round a bit depending on how the tilt .
The a 530`s are single sided but the other side has a traditional flat pedal if you plan to ride your bike in normal shoes at times this might be a benefit.
Now im still not sure wat to get now

Top Bottom