Shimano BR-M445 caliper alternatives?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
Hello all, I dug my ebike project out today to get ready and hopefully put a few miles on it.

Unfortunately the rear caliper decided otherwise (has leaked fluid while stood).

To be fair they are 5 or 6 years old so may be par for the course.

I can get the same caliper again, but they seem to have been discontinued for some time so "new old stock" could be 4+ years old..

Just wondering what new calipers would possibly fit, would like to keep levers/master cylinders and brake lines if possible.

Might do the front as well.

I can get a pair of M445 for £55 with pads which seems a bargain really BUT how old are they..

Any advice appreciated.

20190106_132406.jpg
20160801_111354.jpg

Any Shimano caliper will work. You can use the opportunity to get rid of some clutter there by finding an ISO mount caliper and get rid of that post-mount converter.

Can you figure out where it leaked? Can't it be saved?

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
It's leaked from the piston fluid seals, no seals available separately as far as I can find?.

I was going to buy pads anyway so no great loss.

I might take it to bits but for the price of a caliper doesn't seem worth it.

I did read weeping past the seals may be a common trait with Shimano but took that with a pinch of salt.

Will look at ISO mount, presumably there are different based on disk size?.

I work on motorcycles and have stripped 100's of calipers over the years due to corrosion behind dust seal causing pistons to stick. Never seen fluid loss from the main seal though so was quite surprised to see it on this bicycle caliper!.

Thanks for your help.

Top Bottom