Shimano brake power modulator - any point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
In a rare successful fettling session yesterday, I replaced my brake levers, cables, etc and installed some new shimano levers (for my V brakes). I noticed they came with a small unit about the size and shape of an AA battery called a power modulator which I've also installed. It sits just above the cable guide pipe on the front brake.

I've not come across these devices before and I assume its to reduce offs from sudden sharp braking, but seems a waste of time, as I'm resonably happy with my own braking abilities- unless I'm missing something. Are they worth the bother or should I remove it?

Last edited:

RebornBumbler

RebornBumbler

At a guess it's just a counter to perceived risk of prosecution by Shimano (perhaps as a result of actual/threatened legal action in the U.S)
I believe a similar situation (real or imagined) resulted in the 'lawyer lips' on dropouts which make it more of a pain to get your wheel in and out (Just how many people have you heard of that forgot to nip-up their quick releases?)

Anyway, somebody probably thought "These brakes are super-effective - we might have some customers over the bars..." - though making a braking system less effective when you're demanding more from it does seem somewhat counterintuitive! :eek:

OP
OP
Glow worm

Glow worm

Legendary Member
At a guess it's just a counter to perceived risk of prosecution by Shimano (perhaps as a result of actual/threatened legal action in the U.S)
I believe a similar situation (real or imagined) resulted in the 'lawyer lips' on dropouts which make it more of a pain to get your wheel in and out (Just how many people have you heard of that forgot to nip-up their quick releases?)

Anyway, somebody probably thought "These brakes are super-effective - we might have some customers over the bars..." - though making a braking system less effective when you're demanding more from it does seem somewhat counterintuitive! :eek:

Yes very odd. Think I'll be removing the thing in the morning then :thumbsup:

sreten

Hi,

Bizzarely the thing would work best fitted to the back brake, if you know how to use the front.
The US has some pretty strange ideas about self inflicted injuries versus good braking on
a bike to avoid problems. Goes back I guess to just requiring/having a rear coaster brake.

rgds, sreten.

Top Bottom