Shimano C-101

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm repairing my girlfriend's criminally neglected bike, and I know it's not all that, Muddyfox frame which seems sound. Needs a chain, cassette, saddle and tyres as you'd expect from a bike left outside.

But this little shifter indicator is something I've never seen before. Shifting seems fine, so it probably just needs a bit of a tweak, but has anyone seen anything like it before?

I'm on a tight budget as she's not a regular cyclist, but thought I'd share for any advice or issues I may encounter. If nothing else it's something different, for me at least!

s-l400 (2).jpg

richardfm

Veteran
I've seen those once before on a donated bike at the place that I volunteer. We either swapped the shifters for more conventional ones or removed the indicators and their operating cables.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm repairing my girlfriend's criminally neglected bike, and I know it's not all that, Muddyfox frame which seems sound. Needs a chain, cassette, saddle and tyres as you'd expect from a bike left outside.

But this little shifter indicator is something I've never seen before. Shifting seems fine, so it probably just needs a bit of a tweak, but has anyone seen anything like it before?

I'm on a tight budget as she's not a regular cyclist, but thought I'd share for any advice or issues I may encounter. If nothing else it's something different, for me at least!

View attachment 684290

I have never seen that before!

I would have loved it when I was seven; scooting around making engine noises, squealing tyre noises, and flicking through the gears.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
At first i thought it might have been a flux capacitor fuel gauge.

But no, i've not seen a non-integrated shift display out in public before. Wonder if it's a Japanese or other domestic market production thing that doesn't really make it out into the wider world.

Big John

Guru
I've seen those once before on a donated bike at the place that I volunteer. We either swapped the shifters for more conventional ones or removed the indicators and their operating cables.
I've seen these at the bike charity where I work too. We ditched it if I remember right. They do appear from time to time and when they do we make them disappear :whistle:

Top Bottom