Shimano/Campag Freehub Swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

velohomme

Morning,
I have a rear wheel which currently has a shimano 9 speed freehub. I want to use it on a rebuild but using a campag 10 speed freehub. Is it possible to do a straight swap?
If I have to replace the wheelset it is not a problem but finding silver alloy rims with a campag 10 speed is like looking for hen's teeth.
Any input appreciated.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It's not what you asked but... you can break up a Shimano cassette and rebuild it with Campagnolo spacers. It works.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It's not what you asked but... you can break up a Shimano cassette and rebuild it with Campagnolo spacers. It works.
So simple, I love it!

Hang on though, are campag and shimano spacers interchangeable? They way some of them are part-riveted and part loose sprockets might complicate things, maybe.

winjim

Smash the cistern
So simple, I love it!

Hang on though, are campag and shimano spacers interchangeable? They way some of them are part-riveted and part loose sprockets might complicate things, maybe.
We took apart a 10sp Shimano splined Miche branded cassette and replaced the spacers with genuine Campagnolo ones and it works fine. Took a bit of force to get the thing apart...

winjim

Smash the cistern
Excellent, thank you; possibly the exact scenario I would be enacting.
I was constrained by price. My LBS had a Shimano splined wheel they could give me so we went for the cheapest option. I think, although I don't know, that for most wheel manufacturers you can just swap the freehub over.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I was constrained by price. My LBS had a Shimano splined wheel they could give me so we went for the cheapest option. I think, although I don't know, that for most wheel manufacturers you can just swap the freehub over.
Yes, I believe many makes offer that option.
Although I doubt Shimano-made hubs come with a campag option!

Top Bottom