Shimano chain and cassette on campy drive train.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Does anybody use the above . Ive got a 10 speed campy drive train, and want to use my aero wheels on this bike as well as my shimano equipped bike. The only issue I think (correct me if im wrong) may be the cage on the rear mech. I dont really want to lash out cash if it wont work.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
According to those who have tried it (including the very knowledgeable owner of my LBS) A Shimano ten speed cassette will index perfectly with a Campag drive train. For some reason it doesn't work the other way round.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
According to those who have tried it (including the very knowledgeable owner of my LBS) A Shimano ten speed cassette will index perfectly with a Campag drive train. For some reason it doesn't work the other way round.

Perhaps it is because for 10 (as well as 9) speed Campag's sprocket pitch is 0.2mm wider than Shimano's, so if you set cable tension to line the mech up perfectly near the middle of the cassette, the error at the 2nd and 9th gear will be no more than 0.8mm, while 1st and 10th can still be perfect as they are set by the limit screws. The latter however is not possible for Campag wheels with Shimano sti/mech because they pull too little cable for Campag's sprocket pitch, so shifts into 1st and 10th will be more problematic.

Either way performance will deteriorate with cable stretch and wear etc. when such incompatibilities are ignored.

Top Bottom