Shimano chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
Just been told by Spa cycles that they don't recommend Shimano chains as they have seen many break. I was going to get a HG53 9-speed chain but now I'm not so sure. 11-34 cassette with LX rear changer. Any suggestions for a new chain that will work OK with this setup?

ramses

Well I've had shimano chains for years and currently have one, which if I'm right is the HG53 9-speed. Can't quite recall.

Never had any problems. Never heard anyone say that before as a generalised comment.

Odd!

kyuss

Veteran
I'm not a fan of Shimano chains. I've only suffered 2 broken chains, both of them Shimano. I've found they tend to stretch quicker than others too. I like KMC and SRAM chains.

e-rider

crappy member
They appear to break more than other chains because people don't use the shimano joining pin correctly.

If you join them correctly they are no more likely to break than any other brand.

battered

Guru
I broke a couple of Shimano chains years ago when I was a bit rough with reapplying power after shifting. Thesedays I find them OK. SRAM get a good review, I'm about to fit a 9 spd one to my MTB to replace the worn Shimano one. I prefer the powerlink arrangement to having to carry special pins.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
tundragumski said:
They appear to break more than other chains because people don't use the shimano joining pin correctly.

If you join them correctly they are no more likely to break than any other brand.

This.

However, as a result of not wanting to faff about with the pins, I've always used SRAM or KMC (suspect they're all made in the same Taiwanese factory anyway...).

Chris James

Über Member
tundragumski said:

I agree with this. However, I have used KMC missing links to join Shimano chains, and given that KMC make Shimano chains then it makes just as much sense to buy KMC in the first place

AlanW

Guru
I have broken two 10sp Shimano Ultegra chains in the last two years, but I still continue to use them.

Have tried other makes, but they do not seem to shift as smooth as the OE ones, particularly the new 6700 chain with the shaped side plates. Super smooth and precise shifting every change. :evil:

I also use the KMC Quick Links, and have never experienced any problems with them at all

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
I used to snap a lot of chains. Mostly Sedis and Sram. It was mostly when under pressure, sprinting away from the lights, powering out of corners, mashing up hills.
Shimano chains only ever snapped when covered in mud on my MTB, which would have tested any chain.

I now only use KMC, and have yet to snap one. They come with the best joining link in the business and are relatively cheap. 3x X9 of for £42 at Merlin. £15.95 for 1
http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/bicycle-chains/

Only better chain is the X9L :evil:

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Ended up buying a KMC, thanks everyone. Bought from Spa Cycles. Sounded like I was running to tell tales on them, but just wanted to get a second opinion. To be honest, it sounds like those chains that have snapped have been ridden by much more powerful cyclists than me - no offence or sarcasm intended - so hopefully I'll be OK!

Top Bottom