shimano chainset FC-5750 compatible with FD-5600 front derailleur?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zeb

Hi,

I have to change a used FSA Gossamer crank (and its overpriced bottom bracket) and want to switch to Shimano 105 (the rest of my bike is all equipped in 105 year 2010, referenced 5600). As you know, Shimano has introduced a new 105 in 2011, referenced 5700.
Acording to their compatibility chart, if I install a FC-5750 crank, I should also change the front derailleur (currently FD-5600) to a FD-5700 and thus the STI lever too! That would be steep. Would a FC-5750, which are easier to find than FC-5650, and cheaper too) still work with a FD-5600? Is it a way for Shimano to encourage people to upgrade? After all, my Gossamer chainset was working properly with the FD-5600, so there is some compatibility there.

What do you think?

OP
OP
zeb

zeb

I am answering to myself: according to reviews of the 5700 set, the chainset spacing has changed by 1mm.
Shimano has controlled costs by not trickling down Ultegra’s stiff but expensive hollow outer ring. The spacing is just over 1mm wider than the previous 105, but made no difference when we tried an old 105 front mech and an even older Tiagra one with it, using the new 5700 front shifter.
So if understand well, that would work with a FD-5600, but still would have to change the shifter... Bummer! At least I can still find FC-5650, but it is pricer! I would think the old techno would be discounted, but it does not seem to be the case...

Top Bottom