Shimano CX70 brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I recently had my LBS transfer most of the components (SRAM RED) from my Kaffenback to a CAADX frame, reason being a bike fit showed me the Kaffenback was WAY too small for me. Just got my bike back and yes it's a lot more comfortable now. Looking forward to getting to decent length rides in.

I've never been too happy with the Tektro 720 Canti brakes and the LBS recommended I go for the Shimano CX70. They certainly look and feel the part and the stopping power seems way better based on a quick tour of the estate. Will feed back more after longer rides.

Anyone have any experience of them ?

U

User6179

What brake blocks are you using?, I would change them first as it might just be that the cheap ones that came with the bike are not great.

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
What brake blocks are you using?, I would change them first as it might just be that the cheap ones that came with the bike are not great.

The Koolstop improved them for sure. I used mixed on the back and salmon on the front. I've left the Tektro and the Koolstop on the Kaffenback and the CAADX is now fully built with the CX70s, which come with their own cartridges and blocks.

The post was only to offer my feedback when I have it on these brakes and to see if anyone else is using them.

U

User6179

The Koolstop improved them for sure. I used mixed on the back and salmon on the front. I've left the Tektro and the Koolstop on the Kaffenback and the CAADX is now fully built with the CX70s, which come with their own cartridges and blocks.

The post was only to offer my feedback when I have it on these brakes and to see if anyone else is using them.

Must of mis-read your post the first time, Ive got tekros 710s I think and they were shocking to start with but better now so I just put it down to the cheap stock brake blocks bedding in, will change to the koolstops when these wear out tho Cheers:thumbsup:

VamP

Banned
The CX70 is a good groupset, although I think the brakes are the weak link. Avid Ultimates FTW BTW :becool: Best CX pads by far are the Swisstop GHPII compound. Work in the wet and mud, and are kind to rims.

U

User6179

The CX70 is a good groupset, although I think the brakes are the weak link. Avid Ultimates FTW BTW :becool: Best CX pads by far are the Swisstop GHPII compound. Work in the wet and mud, and are kind to rims.

Just googled them thanks.

VamP

Banned
I recently had my LBS transfer most of the components (SRAM RED) from my Kaffenback to a CAADX frame, reason being a bike fit showed me the Kaffenback was WAY too small for me. Just got my bike back and yes it's a lot more comfortable now. Looking forward to getting to decent length rides in.

I've never been too happy with the Tektro 720 Canti brakes and the LBS recommended I go for the Shimano CX70. They certainly look and feel the part and the stopping power seems way better based on a quick tour of the estate. Will feed back more after longer rides.

Anyone have any experience of them ?

Just did a massive double take - how on earth did that happen?

OP
OP
R

RhythMick

Über Member
Just did a massive double take - how on earth did that happen?

How did what happen ? You mean me buying a frame that was way too small for me? Combination of me knowing bugger all when I took it up and Planet X taking precious little effort to help fit me to a frame.

VamP

Banned
How did what happen ? You mean me buying a frame that was way too small for me? Combination of me knowing bugger all when I took it up and Planet X taking precious little effort to help fit me to a frame.

No, I get how that could happen - fitting SRAM Red to a Kaffenback is what made my mind boggle.

Top Bottom