Shimano Deore bleed nipple stuck

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JBGooner

Über Member
Trying to bleed my front brake with the Epic bleed kit and the bleed nipple on the break caliper is neither spanner shaped nor do any Allen keys seem to fit to make the quarter turn so I can inject the break fluid.

Any tips on how to undo the nipple?

Cheers!

iluvmybike

Über Member
Photo? Some Shimano caliper bleed nipples are not 'nipples' as such but a small recessed grub screw

Brandane

Legendary Member
Trying to bleed my front brake with the Epic bleed kit and the bleed nipple on the break caliper is neither spanner shaped nor do any Allen keys seem to fit to make the quarter turn so I can inject the break fluid.

Any tips on how to undo the nipple?

Cheers!
Small mole-grips? They will chew it though, so maybe better to have a replacement bleed nipple before going down that road.
Injecting brake fluid through the nipple though? That's a bit non conventional! Is there not a reservoir at the lever that you should be putting brake fluid into, and pumping the lever to get air out through the bleed nipple? Closing the bleed nipple as the brake lever reaches the bar obviously, to stop air being sucked back in... Apologies if this is some new fankled system with which I am not familiar :smile:. I know the calipers on my Genesis Croix de Fer are a nightmare as they have no bleed nipple, but they are cable operated with a hydraulic reservoir at the caliper.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
SRAM or Shimano? SRAM uses a Torx 10 bolt, I'm not sure with Shimano.

I seem to recall that my Epic bleed kit came with a Torx 10 bit, I might be wrong though, I'll double check when I get home.

Edit: Doh, just read the thread title again, it's Shimano, ignore me! :blush:

OP
OP
JBGooner

JBGooner

Über Member
Sorry for the photo quality.
IMG_20210309_135822.jpg

The nipple is the little silver thing.
I've already had a go with long nose pliers but thought I better not break it.
Looks hex shaped which was not obvious to my eyesight earlier.

Bleed kit from Epic https://epicbleedsolutions.com/products/shimano-bleed-kit#

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Don't look like bleed nipple to me.

iluvmybike

Über Member
First you should put the funnel reservoir on the lever end to capture fluid. Fill your syringe and expel as much air as possible and attached to the tube then push the tube onto that silver part first THEN undo the bleed port which is the black recessed screw at the TOP of the caliper with a hex key - only a a short way ( don't remove it!!) - then carry out your bleed. Video here:
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/workshop/how-to-bleed-shimano-disc-brakes/
Best to remove the pads so you don't contaminate them if you mess it up and fit a bleed spacer BEFORE you start - otherwsie if you squeeze the lever with no spacer the pistons will just move out and that will cause grief

OP
OP
JBGooner

JBGooner

Über Member
First you should put the funnel reservoir on the lever end to capture fluid. Fill your syringe and expel as much air as possible and attached to the tube then push the tube onto that silver part first THEN undo the bleed port which is the black recessed screw at the TOP of the caliper with a hex key - only a a short way ( don't remove it!!) - then carry out your bleed. Video here:
https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/workshop/how-to-bleed-shimano-disc-brakes/

Ah terrific! I think thats it. :okay:

Best to remove the pads so you don't contaminate them if you mess it up and fit a bleed spacer BEFORE you start - otherwsie if you squeeze the lever with no spacer the pistons will just move out and that will cause grief

I already boobed there when I just wanted to clean the pistons and one popped out, leaking the fluid. :whistle:

Top Bottom