Shimano Deore DX triggers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oakster88

Evening all my first post
I've been gifted a kona cinder cone with Shimano Deore Dx gear triggers wondering how to service them as they are fairly stiff when changing up the gears

TIA

vickster

Legendary Member
Evening all my first post
I've been gifted a kona cinder cone with Shimano Deore Dx gear triggers wondering how to service them as they are fairly stiff when changing up the gears

TIA
Have you changed the gear cables?

Drago

Legendary Member
The boys and esteemed matriach have it sussed above.

First, make sure the derailleur isn't bent, rusted solid, or otherwise horifically deformed.

New cables are essential. No point considering anything else until the obvious is eliminated.

The Shimano grease can harden with age and gum up the workings. This can make the action stiff, or stop it working altogether. A good soak of GT85 or similar over several days would free that up

Last edited:
OP
OP
Oakster88

Oakster88

Wow! I had an MTB with Deore DX groupset back in the early 90s :becool:
Can't even positively remember but guessing it is 7spd?

It's a 93 kona cinder cone & yes its 3x7spd

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Aren't they thumbshifters rather than triggers (Rapidfire)?

Thumbshifters rarely go wrong and it is probably a cable problem. Treat them well - they are sought-after, because most racers used them until Shimano decided it was RF or nothing.

OP
OP
Oakster88

Oakster88

Aren't they thumbshifters rather than triggers (Rapidfire)?

Thumbshifters rarely go wrong and it is probably a cable problem. Treat them well - they are sought-after, because most racers used them until Shimano decided it was RF or nothing.

I guess they could be thumb shifters

Attachments

• 16189270162775502589938965176211.jpg
    16189270162775502589938965176211.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Oakster88

Oakster88

Helpful reply :rolleyes:

They are triggers. Definitely worth keeping, but I would wind in the brake cable adjuster and take some of the slack up at the pinch bolt :okay:

Thanks as I say I've got a list of jobs to do on the bike just got it rideable for work & back. Get some £ in & overhaul the bike

Top Bottom