Shimano Deore (gear) Trigger problem?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinbearvalley

Hi, new here, hope someone can help.

I can use the single trigger to drop a gear but sometimes when I try to climb back up a few gears, the lever has no resistance and does not take-up the cable slack. (The gear indicator does not move) Sometimes it is fine, other times not - seems to be getting progressively worse. Sometimes I have to keep pressing the lever a few times before it works.

I have tried the usual adjusting the gears at the back and the cable seems free moving, making me think the actual trigger mechanism on the handlebars are at fault. However I am no expert here as you may tell from my terminology!

Have I missed anything or is this a typical kind of problem and do I need to replace the trigger shifter or is there anything to try.

Was going to just take the bike for a service but would like to determine if the part needs replacing first?

If replacement would any Shimano trigger 9 speed (x3) be compatible or do I need an exact match. I know they are not cheap!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=477

£20 quid for vanilla Deore shifter pod, I have heard that some people find taking them apart and servicing them works for them, but then I read http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/deoredx/index.html

OP
OP
M

marinbearvalley

2Loose said:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=477

£20 quid for vanilla Deore shifter pod, I have heard that some people find taking them apart and servicing them works for them, but then I read http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~geoff/deoredx/index.html

Thanks for that. Not sure which is the £20 one though. The link is to one discontinued and not available.

Had seen that they are a nightmare to disassemble. (or more likely reassemble)

As we speak I have taken the shifter off the handlebar. Typical I recently changed the grips which were very hard to fit/remove :biggrin:

Anyway, one thing I have found is a stray frayed wire at the end of the cable. Doubt it would be my luck for it to have been that to cause the problem? Whilst still off the bike I can no longer reproduce the problem!!

Might put it all back together and see what happens. Maybe a quick squirt of some air in the hole? and a tiny amount of some silicone grease spray I have?

I very much doubt it is fixed so any other suggestions very welcome.

Cranky

I've had this problem with two left hand shifters in the past. Tried dismantling, lubing etc to no avail so just ended up replacing them.

OP
OP
M

marinbearvalley

Got everything back together. Did give a quick spray of silicone grease. Seems to be working well right now. Gear changing seems to be making a more reassuring click now too. Test will be out on the road though. Need to get a replacement cable.

Will see how it goes and keep an eye out for replacement shifters. Will update thread when I know if the problem is fixed (at least for now) or not.

eddiemee

Strange, I had a problem with my Deore pods this week, but they seized up completely in the highest gear. When I try to put tension in the cable the lever just won't move. Even with the cable completely removed it won't budge. I haven't had time to dissassemble it yet, will do that over the weekend. The pods are only ~1 year old, but as they're quite cheap maybe they're more prone to failures like this and the one the OP described.

OP
OP
M

marinbearvalley

marinbearvalley said:
Will see how it goes and keep an eye out for replacement shifters. Will update thread when I know if the problem is fixed (at least for now) or not.

Fitted the new cable and went for a ride. Got about 10 miles with plenty of shifting and all seemed well but it then started "slipping again". i.e. had to press the lever a couple of times before it started to "bite" and pull on the cable.

Now looking for replacements.

OP
OP
M

marinbearvalley

marinbearvalley said:
Now looking for replacements.

Ordered a L+R set of Shimano Deore 590 £29.95 delivered and complete with cables!

Top Bottom