shimano deore lx

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
hope someone can help
needed to fit new cable for rear mech on my hardtail - took the little dust cover off, moved the lever maximum clicks until I could see the the end of the cable, but then noticed that the mech hadn't moved. Curious as to why this was (surely, taking the dust cover off can't change anything?) I played about with the barrel adjusters. Now the lever will only work for 3 or 4 clicks - it seems to be blocked - it won't even move far enough round to remove the cable. I've cut the cable, but still no result.
What the hell have I done?:sad:

Citius

the chain needs to move as well...

OP
OP
raindog

raindog

er.....
As I said, I've disconnected the cable and it still won't work.
I only have experience with road bikes, and I've just noticed the mech return spring sends the mech naturally towards the wheel, and not outwards which is what I'm used to. :wacko:

lpretro1

You must have a 'rapid rise' type rear mech for it to do that. These work the 'opposite' way round. On a normal mech when you slack off the cable it will go to smallest sprocket. With a rapid rise it will go to biggest one. Let it go there. Then fit your cable and adjust from there. Simples :smile:

OP
OP
raindog

raindog

er.....
You must have a 'rapid rise' type rear mech for it to do that. These work the 'opposite' way round. On a normal mech when you slack off the cable it will go to smallest sprocket. With a rapid rise it will go to biggest one. Let it go there. Then fit your cable and adjust from there. Simples :smile:
Yes, I realise all that now, but as I said, the lever mechanism seems to be blocked - the grooved wheel with the cable in it will only move 3 or 4 clicks - it won't even turn far enough to reveal the end of the cable, so I can't get the cable out - how do I unblock the mechanism?

OP
OP
raindog

raindog

er.....
I tried that, and it didn't work. Anyway, I took off the second dust cover and poked about inside with an electrician's screwdriver and it suddenly started working again! So I was able to get the old cable out. :smile:
About to thread new cable in now. Then I've got to index the gears - never done it with one of these rapid rise things so that should be a laugh. ^_^
Anyone know how to do it?

lpretro1

I already told you above! Release shifter so it is in the biggest sprocket, then tighten the cable at the rd pinch bolt and twiddle tension from there - just the opposite end that a 'normal' type

OP
OP
raindog

raindog

er.....
I already told you above! Release shifter so it is in the biggest sprocket, then tighten the cable at the rd pinch bolt and twiddle tension from there - just the opposite end that a 'normal' type
Yes - thanks a lot lpretro! Job done - much easier than I would've thought. Gears now changing like silk. :smile:

Top Bottom