Shimano Deore shifters 'clunking'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MountainSide

I've had this problem before when you click down a gear and it just clunks and you have to click a 2nd time for it to operate correctly. In the past I have fixed it for a while by cleaning the mechanism and also by replacing them. Is there a definitive reason for it? Do they just wear out or should I try a new cable before replacing them again?? They are 9 speed (x3), think I currently have the 590's. Maybe there is a better replacement?

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
I've had this problem before when you click down a gear and it just clunks and you have to click a 2nd time for it to operate correctly. In the past I have fixed it for a while by cleaning the mechanism and also by replacing them. Is there a definitive reason for it? Do they just wear out or should I try a new cable before replacing them again?? They are 9 speed (x3), think I currently have the 590's. Maybe there is a better replacement?
I can sometimes get this. So far a good clean and lube sorts it.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Shimano grease hardens with age and starts to grab the pawls so they don't release properly. A good juice up with GT85 etc will hopefully cure it.

Top Bottom