Shimano DeoreJockey Wheels - replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

drummerbod

Looking to replace the jockey wheels below - started squealing and they look like sharks teeth.
IMG_20150303_074501245.jpg

Any ideas what model of Jockey Wheel. Many look the same to me despite being for different models.

subaqua

What’s the point
Before you change the wheels, ŵhat is the condition of the spring inside the RD ? I changed worn wheels on a Deore and within a week or so the shifting was back to terrible and wouldn't index. Turned out the spring was goosed too .

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/derailleurs/derailleurs-spares. Lists a huge selection. You could buy a new RD for the cost of some wheel replacements !

Thanks all. I've done 1100miles. At least half of that was off road so I guess it's to be expected.
Only 1100 and it looks like that! I've just replaced jockey wheels on my rd and it had done 4000. Running like a dream now, rd's last a long time and it takes a lot to wear the spring out. New Shimano ones where a tenner.

S.Giles

Thanks all. I've done 1100miles. At least half of that was off road so I guess it's to be expected.
I've done thousands of miles on various bicycles over the years (not off-road, though), and never suffered from any noticeable wear on jockey-wheels. It's just something I've never had to worry about.

Is the position of the derailleur arm shown in the picture (ie, swivelled right forwards) indicative of how it is set-up much of the time? If so, that's probably the cause of the premature wear.

OP
OP
drummerbod

drummerbod

Replaced the jockey wheels with Tacx 4050. Replaced chain as it was stretched by 1/8th inch over the 12inch mark. Went out on bike and found it kept skipping cogs on rear cassette. Now ordered new cassette as I can only assume from other threads it's because the cassette is worn.

I really shouldn't have let it get that bad - live and learn.

Is the position of the derailleur arm shown in the picture (ie, swivelled right forwards) indicative of how it is set-up much of the time? If so, that's probably the cause of the premature wear.
Only when its on its largest cog - otherwise it goes right back when it's on it's smallest.

I am surpised the jockey wheels are made of plastic. The original Shimano jockey wheels were awful - didn't have a proper bearing as such. The Tacx I have fitted have a sealed bearing.

shadow master

With rear cassette's from shimano now costing the same or less than the chains,this farce of trying to guess the chain wear is ridiculous,change both together,other wise one is always wearing out the other

Top Bottom