Shimano Di* do and do not.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I would think the issue is your loom, common areas for this are around the junction box near the BB as some people force the wiring in this area which damages the junction box or plugs.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

Don't give me a big head haha
I said that only to show that im not afraid to solder.
Yes the Y plug does sound like the best option, but i am having trouble imagining it. Your help is greatly appreciated.

OK confession time, Im not a graphic artist so my photoshop skills suck.. This is the 'y' connector. I do not have any laying around so have had to create an image of one... In effect it is a single plug split two ways as this permits you to use two different shifters without having to splice the main loom or the shifters (hope it makes sense) click the picture to make it bigger
DuraAce9700CableTwo2.jpg
For all my modifications I buy the EW-7975 loom and cut it up for the plugs to do battery conversions, in bike charging, and additional shifting options or 'Y' connectors. I not a fan of cutting the loom on a bike your using as if you ever want to sell your Di2 people get worried about the quality of the work. It is always advisable to be able to return it to standard imho

grantxdavis

OK confession time, Im not a graphic artist so my photoshop skills suck.. This is the 'y' connector. I do not have any laying around so have had to create an image of one... In effect it is a single plug split two ways as this permits you to use two different shifters without having to splice the main loom or the shifters (hope it makes sense) click the picture to make it bigger
View attachment 22077
For all my modifications I buy the EW-7975 loom and cut it up for the plugs to do battery conversions, in bike charging, and additional shifting options or 'Y' connectors. I not a fan of cutting the loom on a bike your using as if you ever want to sell your Di2 people get worried about the quality of the work. It is always advisable to be able to return it to standard imho

Makes sense. Thanks for the pic.
Are the plugs on the harness male or female? Cause I haven't bought mine yet I haven't actually had a good look yet.
Buying two internal looms will definitely make the job 100% neat but is there a more cost effective way of doing it? Like buying the extension wires? They come as a set, so that would be 2xmale, 2xfemale. Question is though, so they have the right connectors on them?
Will the plugs from a SW7971 fot into the plugs on a SM-EW79A-E or will I need to buy a seperate piece/cable for these plugs?
Obviously buying a SM-EW79A-I would make it a hell of a lot easier, I just cannot seam to find anywhere that is stocking them.

OP
OP
Mr Haematocrit

Mr Haematocrit

To be honest im unable to advise for certain what plugs you require, as ive not used the shifting your going to use myself.
The reasons why I personally buy the loom kits is that they have all the connectors the system uses and a bottle cage battery mount which you can sell on ebay and get some money back. The loom kit is also readily available unlike other options available. It's not the cheapest solution but its what I would select myself.
The connections from my front junction/display box is a female plug which connects to the rear loom and two male connectors for the front shifting.
So if you were going to do the 'Y' piece you would need one female connector which plugs into the male connector coming from the front junction/display box and two male connecters which will give you the ability to fit an extra set of shifters.

If your local to London I would be happy to come and give you a hand.
If you specifically want SM-EW79A-I then you would need to visit a tri store such as Sigma Sports in Hampton Wick who would be able to get it on special order. The tri components for 10 speed Di2 are not widely available with many being special order jobs

grantxdavis

Unfortunately I from Australia, though I do appreciate the offer. A few of the TT front looms have popped up on eBay so I'll just have to be patient I think. Thanks for the help!

marty5P

Thanks heaps, I'll chat with the shop today and attempt to resolve. I'll post back when loom and holder are checked.
LBS confirmed that the holder has been replaced already so that's ruled out as the issue. Upgrading the software tonight and see what happens - asked them to check the loom and they said they have checked the main areas. Frustration continues.....

ianwoodi

hi
i am having a problem with the chain making a noise when on large front chain set and on large rear cassett and when i pedal backwards the chain comes off the front is there adjustment i can make

marty5P

LBS confirmed that the holder has been replaced already so that's ruled out as the issue. Upgrading the software tonight and see what happens - asked them to check the loom and they said they have checked the main areas. Frustration continues.....
No joy. LBS has stripped the entire system from the bike and sent it to Shimano for testing.

Top Bottom